Home

Woodchuck under elevated deck

Posted By: Miley

Woodchuck under elevated deck - 09/06/19 09:21 PM

Never dealt with the critters. Seems there’s at least one at my sons new house. I do have single door cage traps and a comstock double door. Any suggestions? Can I use a forced set right at the hole? I’ve not seen the house ,so I’m not sure of what’s going on there. Thanks
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Woodchuck under elevated deck - 09/06/19 09:32 PM

Comstock's double door with the nose cone is a whistle pigs nightmare. If you do not have a nose cone, make one out of whatever you have available and set it where the only way in and out is through the trap. I prefer to set mine lengthwise against the foundation and the double door allows you to get them coming or going.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Woodchuck under elevated deck - 09/06/19 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
Comstock's double door with the nose cone is a whistle pigs nightmare. If you do not have a nose cone, make one out of whatever you have available and set it where the only way in and out is through the trap. I prefer to set mine lengthwise against the foundation and the double door allows you to get them coming or going.

Thank you sir! Think I could get away with cardboard for a nose cone?
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Woodchuck under elevated deck - 09/07/19 12:04 AM

I do not know about that but I am not going to say it will not work. If that is all you have and they have not been spooked yet, it might funnel them right in.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Woodchuck under elevated deck - 09/08/19 12:16 AM

Yes, cardboard will work just fine. Woodchucks are stupid.... usually. They almost always take the path of least resistance.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Woodchuck under elevated deck - 09/08/19 04:22 PM

Cardboard should work.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Woodchuck under elevated deck - 09/09/19 06:39 PM

A solid material for blocking does the trick. I use sheet metal, aluminum, very light and can carry enough to do many feet. Cardboard should work too, in dry weather. Boards, blocks whatever you have. You can block off large areas, leave one opening. I use short T bars to angle against it or straight up and down. Go get um. Did 200+ since last year with nose cones at dens, under decks porches sheds etc. using blocking.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums