Home

Porcupine

Posted By: rick brocious

Porcupine - 09/12/19 03:36 AM

Does anybody know of a deterrent to keep porcupines from chewing on decking ? Thanks for any information .
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Porcupine - 09/12/19 11:54 AM

I am working on getting one right now. Read problem porcupine post. The are most likely close and can be removed.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Porcupine - 09/12/19 06:02 PM

I did get rid of the one that had a den a stones throw away from the camp . Was looking for something to treat the decking to prevent future problems.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Porcupine - 03/22/20 03:49 AM

Porcupines love wood, as is evident on many deer stands they disturb.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Porcupine - 03/22/20 06:24 AM

If the structure has enough height above ground that they have to climb the supports wrap the bottom 18-24” with sheet metal. Without ability to climb done deal.

Have had many clients with saplings and mid sized trees getting gnawed up. Sheet metal wraps painted similar color to bark and folks were happy and porcupine couldn’t climb them. Put trail camera on the first one we ever did and saw how well it worked.

Some of our clients live in dense populated areas in terms of porky numbers. Without something long term they just keep getting chewed up.

Just a thought in case your structures would allow that type of deterrent.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Porcupine - 04/01/20 03:40 AM

They seem to like treated lumber. I don't know if porcupines or squirrels chew on that newer style composite decking.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums