Home

WCT training videos

Posted By: oneoldboot

WCT training videos - 09/15/19 12:06 AM

I am new to ADC this year and subscribe to WCT Magazine. I see these two videos advertised:

A GUIDE TO BUYING AND USING CAGE TRAPS

RUNNING A WILDLIFE CONTROL BUSINESS

Have any of you have watched these? Any light bulb moments? Curious to know if I should buy these or invest in equipment.

Thank you!
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: WCT training videos - 09/16/19 12:19 AM

Invest in quality equipment and ask lots of questions.

I don't want to discount what you can learn off a video, but most of the guys here run a business and have trapped for years. When you have questions, somebody is usually pretty quick to give advice.
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: WCT training videos - 09/18/19 01:51 AM

As the producer of the videos and more, here's my take on your question.

If you are looking for education on the subjects covered by any video, WCT produced or other, then only you will know if it is a worthwhile investment. I've been doing training for the Wildlife control industry since 2004 and also ran/run a wildlife control company for 20 years. I've done jobs for as cheap as "free" to my record of $225,000 and still climbing. I've produced multiple hands-on and seminar style training programs over these years along with participating in events thought the US and Canada as a speaker that others have produced. I wrote for WCT Magazine from 2003 - 2010 and was editor in 2011 before buying it in 2012. If I don't know an answer, I have no problem saying so. Having said that, if you still want me to throw my two cents into the mix I can usually come up with something.

I agree that you can get good information online, but you can also get crap, especially when you don't know how much experience someone has or where they are working. I've listed some of my credentials so you can use qualifications like these as a bit of a litmus test for anyone giving you advice. The best rule of thumb to follow with this I can give is to expect to get what you pay for. In short, if you're a business then approach training as a business would and get ready to get out the checkbook for certain things.

The bottom line is that when it comes to running a business, any business, you need to make sure you are getting a ROI (return on investment) for any training you participate in. If you spend say $100, you should expect to make $300 - $1000 minimum from that investment. What most forget though is that learning is all on the person paying for the experience, not on the individual presenting the information. In other words, regardless if the instructor is great or crap, it is up to the student to get the answer. Many attendees at training events are looking for just one single nugget of advice that makes it all worthwhile. I remember Jack Ammerman giving a presentation in Las Vegas and telling the class that he made over $10,000 that year by using just one tip I shared in a 45 minute bat class. Not a bad ROI for a $300 investment, especially when you consider that that was back in 2012 and today it is a cumulative effect of well over $30,000. Regardless of what training you look in to, don't set the expectation that it will teach you everything you need to know. On top of that, since each state is different with their laws, what is legal for one person to do may not be legal for another.

Ultimately, learning is dependent on the individual and they need to want to learn in order to do so. Lastly, don't forget that you can also learn how not do do something just as much as can learn how to do it. So, even if you spend $1,000 on a method of training and you feel it was crap, as long as it prevented you from making mistakes other operators are making, it would be a good investment in the long term.

Specifically with the two DVDs you mentioned, if you are unsure of what type of cage traps are available, how they work (that may seem stupid to say, but I've noticed that many operators who ask me questions don't really understand how they work since many don't have a trapping background), and several quick and simple trapping setups/tips, then I'd recommend the Guide to Buying & Using Cage Traps. However, if you feel you have a good handle on which trap to pick for a situation/animal and how to choose a quality trap over a piece of junk, then it isn't for you. It was made for the home consumer, fur trapper wanting to use cage traps, and just starting out operator.

A similar statement can be said about the Running a Successful Wildlife Control Company. This was produced in 2013 and I'm hoping to have it updated in 2020 if possible. It is just me talking for over 2 hours on business aspects. If you need help figuring out if this line of work is for you along with certain key areas involved with running a wildlife control company - from answering the phone, scheduling, setting prices, tips to figure out what services to offer, equipment, etc., then it may be useful. However, if you're expecting a DVD with a "Do this, then that" approach, or one with a lot of making sets you'll be sorry you bought it. This DVD was made to make you think about your business, where you have to come up with the answers and focuses on/explains certain business elements while leaving a lot of them untouched. I do not recommend it for anyone that has been running a business and is happy with their results; however, like I said earlier if you need a bit of a kick start or are struggling with certain areas it may be beneficial.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: WCT training videos - 09/21/19 04:20 PM

Well written Eric
© 2024 Trapperman Forums