Home

Pocket gopher count for the year

Posted By: 20scout

Pocket gopher count for the year - 11/02/19 03:21 AM

Last year as part of my retirement, I decided to do some gopher trapping. Kids today don't seem to be interested and farmers don't have the time. Local townships pay a $3.00 bounty and a few of the farmers toss in a perk or two as well. It took me a bit to get geared up but my final count for last year was 447. This year my goal was to at least match it but as of yesterday my count was 501. The ground is getting hard and pickings are slim so have called it for this year. I've meet alot of great people and made alot of friends since starting this adventure , not to mention the fun I've had in doing it. People see me and the first question is "Well, how many so far?" or "What's the count today?" And then it's reports on where they seen some gopher mounds and such. It's a nice feeling being able to provide a useful service and be appreciated by your neighbors. I just wish I had retired sooner....
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 11/02/19 01:29 PM

Great! What is your go to trap?

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 11/02/19 10:16 PM

Early in the year I use a good'ol #0 Victor LS but once the ground warms up switch to Death Clutches. I like the LS for multiple runs but the DK's are much faster to set. Always trying to improve on my technique and not afraid to try new things.
Posted By: run

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 11/07/19 12:26 PM

Interesting.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 11/07/19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Early in the year I use a good'ol #0 Victor LS but once the ground warms up switch to Death Clutches. I like the LS for multiple runs but the DK's are much faster to set. Always trying to improve on my technique and not afraid to try new things.

I would be most interested in your starting a thread, some pictures and your methods. There are other posts on pocket gophers in people having problems with plugs and sprung traps. My nephews when growing up in a bounty county earned a great deal of money in the summer trapping pocket gophers. A thread would help pass things on and might interest some of the younger kids, and the retirees who have velcro grandkids attached to cell phones.

Great job as the bean farmers and hay cutters love gopher trappers.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 11/07/19 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by star flakes
Originally Posted by 20scout

I would be most interested in your starting a thread, some pictures and your methods. There are other posts on pocket gophers in people having problems with plugs and sprung traps. My nephews when growing up in a bounty county earned a great deal of money in the summer trapping pocket gophers. A thread would help pass things on and might interest some of the younger kids, and the retirees who have velcro grandkids attached to cell phones.

Great job as the bean farmers and hay cutters love gopher trappers.

X2

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 11/07/19 11:33 PM

Will keep this in mind for next spring. Didn't think there would be much interest but it would be a fun project.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 11/08/19 03:06 PM

I keep track of our mole catches each year too...customers always asking
Posted By: willvalley

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 12/29/19 04:06 AM

[Linked Image]
Trapline Gophenator modified.
Posted By: dayn

Re: Pocket gopher count for the year - 12/29/19 05:56 AM

How well do they work on the townsend mole?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums