Home

Skunk vs cats

Posted By: 20scout

Skunk vs cats - 11/24/19 11:06 PM

I have a local farm where they have an abundance of skunks they would like gone but they also have a larger abundance of cats. I'm using live traps with bananas or eggs but no matter what I use, the cats get there first. When I have caught a cat, I've always shook the trap with the cat still in it so I lessen the chance of catching it again but the farmer is out there very early and lets the go. He is quite elderly and I'm sure he's unable to shake the trap so that rules that idea out. Any suggestions that I can try to catch the skunks instead?
Posted By: Urbancoon

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 12:59 AM

Is he willing to toss a bucket of cold water on the cats before he lets them go?

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 02:08 AM

Eh, probably not. Reset traps this evening at sundown and just got back from checking them thinking perhaps I could spot them and find out where they may be hiding at. Had 3 more cats so the bananas and eggs won't cut it. Think I'll try something sweet like jelly or cereal.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 11:10 AM

Yeah, eggs will draw a cat if they are broken. Might not if they are unbroken, but will still interest skunks.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 01:17 PM

Do you use boiled egg or fresh?
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 09:53 PM

Cheeseies by themselves or + porkrinds.. If still getting cats drop pork rinds.

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 10:26 PM

I've done studies with eggs left for animals in fake nests and figured out what broke the egg by looking at the damage.

These were unboiled eggs.

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 10:27 PM

If I need to switch to bait for some reason, I go for sweets.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 10:46 PM

I have great luck with using vanilla wafers, cats rarely mess with the wafers and the skunks love them.

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/25/19 11:33 PM

I used some jelly and cereal thinking the sweet would attract skunks and not the cats. Had 5 cats out of 6 traps this morning. This evening I reset the traps and and trying some variety of things like Gusto, raw quill, honey and produce. Talked to the farmer and he believes once a cat is caught, it won't get caught again. I rattled the cages of the ones I caught but there's still alot of cats I haven't caught yet. Limited on time as it's supposed to get real cold starting next week and afraid the skunks will hibernate before I can catch them. I plan on checking the traps again this evening to release any cats and increase my odds of catching a skunk.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/26/19 03:31 AM

Carry a quart spray bottle of water with you when you check traps. It usually doesn't take much water to convince a cat that a cage trap is not a good place to visit.

Re: Skunk vs cats - 11/26/19 02:05 PM

Spray bottle would work too if I get there before the farmer does.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums