Home

Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere)

Posted By: #furdaddy

Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 11/25/19 02:11 PM

Getting calls for urban coyotes. This one is in the neighborhood everyday. I think it is hunting and killing squirrels. Homeowner sends me pics everyday. I set a bobcat sized live trap and told her I have no faith in it.
Told her I think we have a very good chance with a Collarum. She talked to the neighbors and they agreed to purchase me one.
WI only allows cable restraints after Dec 1st. I believe I will have to wait until then to set.
Any tips on setting it up?
Bp
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 11/25/19 04:17 PM

Aren't you worried about dogs? Even if there or stops on them they can get bang up sometimes. JMO
Posted By: #furdaddy

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 11/25/19 08:17 PM

Getting there, what would be your recommendation?
Posted By: Eric Arnold

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 11/27/19 08:19 PM

There are several videos on YouTube you may want to watch concerning how to use it. It should also come with a CD from WCS explaining the basics I think (it's been a bit since I've bought one). Remember that this device is a bite-pull trigger, so what you use as bait may make a difference. WCS recommends CCB from Proline Lures and I've used it with success. For the Collarum itself, I prefer the T bite trigger over the tube bite trigger. To install the T you'll need to make a notch in it at the bottom and then drill/cut holes in the side so you can run a piece of wire through it to keep it on the device. I also like to wrap the T with gauze or athletic tap to give the CCB something to "cling" to. Set location does matter with the device as you need to make sure the coyote can only approach it from the front. Also, determine how many coon you may have issues with as they can set it off without getting caught. If you have a lot of coon, I'd recommend also setting cage traps or DPs for the coon around the property to help limit the changes they will get to the Collarum. This device isn't a guarantee and many have low success with it. My last time using it on a job it took 4 days before a catch and if I remember right I had at least three if not four of them out.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 11/28/19 12:05 AM

I don't think you can legally set a collarum In WI. I have some and I have used them but If It were me I'd wait till Dec 1st and hang cables.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 11/28/19 01:44 PM

Illegal in Illinois
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 11/28/19 02:25 PM

Can only be used for damage control work with a permit in NC and requires lots of paperwork.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 12/29/19 11:54 PM

Call your warden. Get his/her opinion. Cable restraints might be better because any dog caught has a chance of getting out without major heartache by homeowners.

I’ve also had discussions with homeowners on what that animal is doing there and what they can do to remove the free groceries!

Got a call last spring from the DNR because somebody called them with a beaver problem. Except the caller didn’t own the land nor stream on which it bordered. The complainant was a deer hunter who just had permission to be there.

I met with the property owner to talk about what damage the beavers were doing. She said they didn’t bother her or the working land at all. We spent an hour talking beavers. She actually liked having them there and didn’t want to see them removed.

I don’t mind having a happy property owner. They’ll call back when they see they have a problem. You’ve given them someone they can trust who is looking out for them not just out to kill something.

Don’t go into this job blind. If you have homeowners, go talk to them. Find out who has dogs that run. See how they feel about seeing an animal in a trap. The last thing you need is bad “press” because someone in the neighborhood wasn’t consulted. Keep the DNR in the loop on this too. They can be your best friends in a jam
Posted By: forester79

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 01/02/20 12:21 PM

Pretty sure it would be considered a spring powered snare Wich is a no in wi.
Posted By: Dirk Shearer

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 01/14/20 03:24 PM

My biggest problem with the Collarum here in Ohio is the number of raccoons in our suburban environment. You can hardly keep one set over night without a coon setting it off.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 01/15/20 03:44 PM

As usual, Dirk hit the nail on the head!
Posted By: Mike Wilhite

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 01/22/20 01:58 AM

I've used the Collarum, with a permit from the DNR, in WI on urban coyotes with great success.
Posted By: Lepus

Re: Collarum Experience in WI (or elsewhere) - 02/06/20 04:59 AM

Mike, can you elaborate on your succes with this trap?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums