Home

How long is bait and lure good for?

Posted By: Borgia

How long is bait and lure good for? - 01/12/20 12:21 PM

Bought bait and lure last year. Left it outside under carport. Upstate my weather so hot summer and freezing winters.
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: How long is bait and lure good for? - 01/12/20 10:50 PM

Borgia; Shake it. See if it's still in a wet state.

If so? Open it and take a good sniff. You'll know whistle
Posted By: Getting There

Re: How long is bait and lure good for? - 01/13/20 12:53 AM

I just keep mine until it is used up. I buy the smaller bottles.

**Your Vote can make the difference.**
Posted By: strike2x

Re: How long is bait and lure good for? - 01/13/20 01:52 AM

I buy it by the gallon and normally use it in about 3 years. Never had any go bad. That includes stuff I make myself with Dobbins bait solution. About to make up 3 gallons so I will be good for a few years.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: How long is bait and lure good for? - 01/13/20 03:14 AM

Your car port location probably converted your immortal lures, to mortality. Freezing breaks cell structure and heat degrades long chains formed. Your lures and baits have lost potency, but should be viable for some time to come. Direct sunlight is natures atomic sanitizer.
As a suggestion, a used fridge unplugged would be of benefit in a garage or shed. Better yet would be this or a freezer buried as a root cellar. I have lures I inherited, stored in our cellar, which like numbers of my lures from those companies in the Reagan boom times in defunct companies and trappers, and they are all still good.
I have skunk oil my Grandfather rendered out in the 1950's by sun rendering, and it is as fresh as the day he made it. Lures are an investment. Take care of them and they will last as long as good wine.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: How long is bait and lure good for? - 01/13/20 06:29 AM

If a strong whiff of it causes you to gag just like it did when you bought it, you will be fine.
Posted By: AJE

Re: How long is bait and lure good for? - 03/15/20 05:48 AM

I store mine in a foam cooler...the ones meat comes in at holiday time.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: How long is bait and lure good for? - 03/15/20 04:41 PM

If I need bait, I hit the convenience store.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums