Home

Calving season coyotes

Posted By: PARick

Calving season coyotes - 01/22/20 08:59 PM

I got a big dairy farms that I trap in the winter for fox coyote and coon. I usually trap them for 7-10 days for pleasure trapping. I trap them for that short period of time due to travel distance. The farmer wants me to nuicence trap coyotes in calving season. He said every year during calving season his cows are harassed or killed by coyotes. This winter when I trapped it the coyotes passed throu the farm 1 night in 7 days, and unfortunately I didn’t get them to commit to a set. He is willing the expense for me to trap them when he has the issues. So my question is what sets work best in the spring? I was planning on using the afterbirth crap in dirtholes and blind setting the fence crossings. Do flat sets work decent that time of year? I never targeted coyote other than winter months Thanks
Posted By: varmintshooter

Re: Calving season coyotes - 01/23/20 01:31 AM

Most ranchers/dairy farmers fence up calving cows all together so they can keep up with them easier. If this feller does that or if you can get him too, trap them before they get in the fence. Blind set them. Most coyotes hone in on the food source and will walk right past a normal dirt hole or scent post. More than likely you would only be dealing with a couple of coyotes so don't think you will catch large numbers.
Posted By: PARick

Re: Calving season coyotes - 01/23/20 03:00 PM

Haven’t talked to him yet about the location of the cows. Seems like blind sets would be the best way
Posted By: TRAPDOC57

Re: Calving season coyotes - 02/08/20 02:13 AM

PARick, are you licensed to nuisance trap in Pennsylvania? I hope to be licensed sooner than later.

I caught coyotes with footholds where they go under the 10 foot fence at a local elk farm. I cabled them on other trails out away from the fence where I could legally set. Trail sets are the way to go. You can double up traps so you don't miss any. You get the nontargets with trail sets so set every trail as you find them. I got 2 double's setting that way and 6 at the farm.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums