Home

Flying squirel ; help needed,

Posted By: ACO-WDCA

Flying squirel ; help needed, - 02/21/20 03:52 PM

I have just been asked to solve several issues with flying squirrels in homes. Do I treat this as a bat exclusion ,but what are choices of capture ? Are rat traps the way of approach or glue pads. The exits are not found.
Help if you will,
Thank you,
Robert
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 02/21/20 04:37 PM

IF there is a bird feeder that would be the first place to set a live trap, but remember you have to set the trap after dark. JMO
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 02/21/20 06:27 PM

Yes in that some squirrel jobs can be treated like a bat job all depending upon various conditions and time of year.

Colony trapping before birthing and long after the young are mature enough to begin exiting the structure. Finding the entry/exit points are key. Then a good repair after all is clear.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 02/22/20 12:17 AM

Need to find the entry/exit holes and then remove the squirrels. If you just patch the holes, the squirrels will chew back in unlike bats. If you remove the squirrels and do not patch the holes, other squirrels or bats will move in. Like Bob said.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 02/23/20 12:54 AM

In the attic, I used 110's with twisted wires and a 2" x 1" pc of sponge threaded onto trigger wire smeared with PB and sunflower seeds and often caught 2 at a time.
19 out of 1 attic was the most.
Traps were set in area client heard the noises at night along the rafters bout 2-3 ft apart.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 02/23/20 02:23 AM

We treat them like bats. Seal and cone. Plus rat snaps on the inside.

Trim coil keeps them from chewing back in.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 03/01/20 12:24 AM

Rat trap in a weasel box
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 03/01/20 11:33 AM

You dont need to put them in a box for flyers. The regular snap trap will take them.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 03/01/20 12:39 PM

No you don't but there is something about the hole they cant resist checking out, and the catch rate speaks for its self
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 03/01/20 02:53 PM

Rat traps in boxes in the attic work well. Load it up. I use treat it exactly like a bat job except all entry points need to be chew proof. Xcluder cloth does not work well against fliers they will pull it apart. You can trap and seal at the same time usually if you use enough traps. They are easy to trap using a good paste bait and black sunflower seeds. load up the bait and you will wipe them out pretty quick. NB paste from WCS is all I use for rodents here in CT. I use Snap Trap Station by J.T. Eaton with victor pro rat traps, just have to bend down the taps on the stations.
Posted By: Shedhunt

Re: Flying squirel ; help needed, - 03/02/20 02:09 AM

Use a minnow trap with dry dog food or sunflower seeds, something like that. I never tried it with the small minnow traps you buy. There has always been guys around here that minnow trap for a living and the traps they made were about twice the size of store bought ones, with only one entrance. I don't know if it would make a difference or not. But they worked very well for catching flyer's. The Flyer collony trap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums