Home

Need skunk help

Posted By: Short Track

Need skunk help - 02/23/20 09:55 PM

I'm not a skunk trapper. Got a call (family member) about a skunk living under a porch. I certainly don't want to live trap it.
Do they go into Connibear boxes ? with a 160 ?

I regularly catch coons in connibear boxes. They'll squeeze into any hole. Are skunks similar ?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Need skunk help - 02/23/20 09:57 PM

Yes

Re: Need skunk help - 02/23/20 10:07 PM

ok, a connibear box with a 160.
What bait do they like ?
Posted By: trprsam

Re: Need skunk help - 02/23/20 10:44 PM

Keep in mind that this time of year, there may be more than one!
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Need skunk help - 02/23/20 11:06 PM

If you trap it that way it will probably spray . I would live trap it .
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Need skunk help - 02/23/20 11:36 PM

The laws in N Y are very particular on how you can use a coni on the ground. it wouldn't be a bad idea to go over them in your manual.

Generally these laws are written to keep dogs and cats out of them. You really don't want to have that conversation with the owner, or the bad attention that conversation can bring. Dont do it! Skunks are easy to cage trap. Meat and sweet are good baits.

We just took skunk 13 and 14 out from under a deck, so the above advice about multiples is good.

They are docile in a trap. Cover it and there's very little chance you will get sprayed.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Need skunk help - 02/24/20 12:47 AM

Forget the conibear and bait. Don't understand why you would not want to live trap a skunk. I've caught hundreds over the years as have countless ADC guys. A positive set with a double door cage trap and nose cone makes short work of skunks without worry about catching a neighborhood cat in a conibear.

Re: Need skunk help - 02/24/20 02:12 AM

You walk up to a cage trapped skunk, without getting sprayed ?
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Need skunk help - 02/24/20 04:08 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Need skunk help - 02/24/20 11:27 AM

All the time.

You can save yourself some stress by placing the trap in a contractor bag. It acts as a cover for you and the skunk. Both of you are calmer.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Need skunk help - 02/24/20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by LAtrapper
[Linked Image]

Those are the most gorgeous skunks I have ever seen. Never thought I would make a statement like that, but the large amount of white you have on the animals in your area makes them particularly striking. They are very pretty.

As others have already addressed the live trap question, I agree. I like skunks in dealing with them, they are one of my favorite animals to deal with and observe. If they did not carry rabies, I would never touch them for grub control.

Re: Need skunk help - 02/24/20 08:58 PM

Their winter pelts are beautiful. Opossums have a really nice pelt too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums