Home

Trap shy

Posted By: Getting There

Trap shy - 04/25/20 03:58 PM

Skunk, I have a skunk that has been in a trap before. I have tried almost every food, every style of live trap. The skunk had dug under a small building. Set a trap right over the hole, the skunk was not under the building when I set the trap would not go back under the building. Have several picture on my game cameras. I can uses any type of foot hole or body grip. I have used live traps with pans, and wire triggers. Covered the floor of the trap with sand. I am thinking of covering the trap with a tote with a hole cut just a little smaller that the live trap door opening.
Any ideas?
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Trap shy - 04/25/20 06:20 PM

Gun?
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Trap shy - 04/25/20 06:31 PM

I change trap style, most problem critters are shy of wire traps, I like plasticatch traps as my alternative for "cautious" critters, also use alternative baits.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Trap shy - 04/25/20 09:41 PM

Tom:
I may try covering the trap. I have tried every bait I can think of, eggs, jack mackerel, dog food, spam, pizza, sardines, bacon, smokes oysters. The only thing I have not tried is a banana.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Trap shy - 04/25/20 10:06 PM

So the skunk is no longer under the building? Sounds like the problem is solved. Seal the area so he can't get back in.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Trap shy - 04/26/20 01:19 AM

Bucket with pan trigger
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Trap shy - 04/26/20 02:10 AM

Camo the trap, small square bales. What I use as my million dollar lure is what every skunk responds to, and that is skunk essence. Eggs provide a visual and that is a delicacy this time of year as they begin raiding nests.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Trap shy - 04/26/20 05:45 AM

As said above: “So the skunk is no longer under the building? Sounds like the problem is solved. Seal the area so he can't get back in.”

When you catch a skunk outside, how will you know it is “the offender”?
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Trap shy - 04/26/20 01:02 PM

Had one memorable smart guy a few years back. Would not go into a positive set cage. Set the trap, he dug another hole. Moved the trap. Dug another hole. Put lots of bait in a large trap, no luck. A cameod 160 did him. Animals surely get scary smart.
Posted By: TRADER TUT

Re: Trap shy - 05/03/20 12:20 PM

Jim, Oh it is fun to match wits with any critter. Keeps me thinking. Tut
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Trap shy - 05/03/20 09:30 PM

They'll make you up your game! That's for sure! We had 1 that wouldnt go through a positive set, didnt want bait, we ended up replicating the smells of the guy's grill!
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Trap shy - 05/13/20 01:26 AM

try moving the trap away from the den site to the area the skunk in leaving the area. I have had female skunks with young that refuse to go in a trap at the den. but I move the trap 30 to 50 feet away and use as big of the cage I can and have them the first night. the key is knowing where she goes when she leaves the den. I am writing a piece on dens and cages right now. stating that the safety factor at the den entrance may and can have an effect on the skunk's comfort and willingness to enter a trap yet go into the cage away from the den. I was to do a cage trapping demo at the PA trapping convention this June and was going to cover a lot of this, now that is is canceled I will be doing it 2021 so I can let a little out now LOL
Posted By: Trapper Don

Re: Trap shy - 05/16/20 02:16 PM

Exclude the area then a one-way door. As said above " not under there then problem solved"
We are about solving conflicts...not necessarily trapping. We are not trappers, trapping is a tool we use.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Trap shy - 05/16/20 08:14 PM

I had made some homemade excluders with a very light weight and a very tapered door years back for such occurrences. Now that I have them they come in handy, no brainer. You have to know what you are dealing with as to time of year. Litter, no litter, single animal etc. How big are the young if it is a litter. That can be a very important factor as to whether they will run thru the door or not..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums