Home

Best chipmunk trap?

Posted By: coalminer7755

Best chipmunk trap? - 06/10/20 11:24 PM

Hey guys got a chipmunk problem around our house and barn, what's the best trap in your guys professional opinions? Thanks
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/11/20 12:55 AM

A weasel box with a rat trap. Put a hook and eye on the lid. I stop using live traps because of to many squirrels and other animals fooling with them. Safe around pet and kids in most cases. But you have to let the owner know about them and inform the kids. JMO
Posted By: Thumb Catcher

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/11/20 04:08 AM

Safeguard trap from the advertisers above. Can't go wrong them, and I have not had problems with squirrels.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/11/20 12:15 PM

We use panless double door swing panel traps, 3x5, 5x5 or 6x6 along walls with sunflower seeds. Set in seconds.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/11/20 01:51 PM

I can honestly say that the best chipmunk cage for us is the Tomahawk squirrel cage with the 1/2 inch mesh. This cage will also hold mice, so we can show the customer and perhaps get a rodent control job out of it too!
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/12/20 11:54 AM

What's good about double door traps is that they have multiple uses, can be used in gutters for gray squirrels and in positive sets at den sites to catch coming and going, also along structure, walls to catch chipmunks again coming and going without bait or lure as well as for barn rats. A slightly wider trap will work for muskrats too.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/22/20 04:57 PM

1 1/2 long spring works wonders on chipmunks. Set in front of their hole. Also can set it at the entrance to gutter downspouts. Otherwise, put a two or three foot piece of PVC along the edge of the building behind bushes and guard each end with a 1 1/2 LS. You could bait the pipe with birdseed but it's just as good as a blind set. No need to bury the trap. Just pound a depression in the ground and drape some grass over the trap to break up the outline. Acts as a killer type trap on chipmunks. But stake it solid.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/22/20 06:25 PM

Do you think a chipmunk could push open a colony trap door?
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/23/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Do you think a chipmunk could push open a colony trap door?

I make a small cage trap with a push open door for 13 lined ground squirrels. Works great and chipmunks are about the same size.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/23/20 10:16 PM

Jim, are those set baited or as a positive set? I make and use a colony trap for flyers, but it's positive set over entry. I've only had one situation where I set it for grays and caught two 'munks. For 'munks I use Victor pro rat traps in boxes.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/23/20 11:30 PM

They are set posi. No bait needed. See thr ground squirrel go into his hole, set the trap over the hole, come back in 15 minutes and pick up the catch.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Best chipmunk trap? - 06/23/20 11:45 PM

“What's good about double door traps is that they have multiple uses, can be used in gutters for gray squirrels and in positive sets at den sites to catch coming and going, also along structure, walls to catch chipmunks again coming and going without bait or lure as well as for barn rats. A slightly wider trap will work for muskrats too.“

==========

I use the 5x5 traps as excluders when birds nest in walls. I use a screw and a fender washer to attach the nosecone to the wall. Then I set up the trap by wiring the far outside door open and disconnecting the spring on the close inside door. Then slide the trap into the nosecone and another screw with a fender washer fastens the trap to the siding. The close inside door functions as a one way door that birds easily find by bouncing around and magically they are on the outside looking in.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums