Home

KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT

Posted By: Terri

KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/11/20 02:50 PM

I won't get into the horrors we are going through with the coons for months but we sealed up every way they could get in the attic and garage but they are still keeping us awake trying to get in so we finally got a cage trap. We did manage to get sow and kits out of the attic before we sealed it up by placing boom box up there and blasting hard rock music. Marshmallows seem to be a preferred treat so we baited the cage with them on the bottom of the cage but they obviously grabbed them thru the cage so whats a good way to keep this from happening? Also bought some wet cat food but haven't tried it yet. Tips appreciated.

Terri
Posted By: NWTrapper85

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/11/20 03:45 PM

how long has it been since you sealed up the holes. Are you hearing any movement in attic or just hear them on roof etc trying to break in. I'll PM you check your messages.
Posted By: Terri

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/11/20 04:51 PM

Hubby sealed up the roof vent louvers over a month ago that they tore open and it was silence for a while. I think they are on the roof trying to eat thru the soffits to get in. I check all the way around the house almost every day. Thanks for the PM by the way. Looking for a way to un -register but can't find it
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/11/20 11:29 PM

Big difference in cage traps. You get what you pay for. Good traps will go off when they should. Also good traps will not let the coons reach in and steal the bait. Some times the bait theft is mice.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/12/20 01:16 AM

Suspend the bait In a cup made from the bottom 2 inches of a water bottle, or under the trap in a little space you have dug a couple inches past the treadle. Did you tune the trigger to make it go off properly without too much pressure on the treadle?
Did you secure it so it would not wobble?
The Virginia Trapper’s association has a website and links to put you in contact with local professionals also. The problem now is that you have educated them and could make them harder to catch.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/18/20 02:11 PM

I will place my bait In a can crush the can shut so they can't steal the bait. Or dig a small hole for your bait then place the trap over the bait hole.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/18/20 04:41 PM

Terri, just get a bag of dry, cheap dog or cat food. I find that fish works best, because it has more odor. Sprinkle it behind the pan if you have a solid one and over it, if you have a wire pan. The coons have to work for the pellets and get caught as they fall through the wire to the ground.

If this gets rained on, no problem, as it dissolves and still smells like food. When you catch a coon in the trap, they will tear up everything, but carefully shoot them in the head in the trap, as they bleed like stuck hogs, which in turn, you have now created a massive coon lure, in their scent is in the trap, the blood is there, and you have bait. Honestly for summer trapping, around gardens in good locations, once I bait a trap, I never rebait, as the scent of other animals like possum, skunk, woodchucks lingers when you catch then and they all keep coming to that hot scent spot. Just having natural lure like that helps in keeping cats out of the trap once they get educated.

And as a caution, kill those animals and do not dump them off on someone else, who will have their house torn apart, as you would not like that happening, and chances are someone did just that to you. Plus, it is like these foreigners being dumped in mass into America, they spread disease and they take up resources that are the residents. Meaning, the area people drop animals off, already has enough coons in it, killing everything they can get their paws on.

I would though get another cage trap, and set them together as you have too many coons, and catching one will draw others to the other trap.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/20/20 06:42 PM

Don't forget to stake the cage so it can't be rolled over.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/21/20 04:30 PM

Never close entrances until all are caught.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 06/23/20 11:54 PM

Catch them on the ground before they climb up on the house. This is my preferred method. It eliminates ladders and carrying traps up onto the roof.

Trim limbs that hang over the house. That will reduce the squirrels and raccoons that go onto the roof.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 07/30/20 06:54 PM

Put the bait, dead center, UNDER the trap.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: KEEP COONS FROM STEALING BAIT - 08/13/20 02:22 AM

get them to the front of the trap not the side and use a baiting strategy to keep them there and moving in..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums