Coons stealing rodent bait stations

Posted By: SWIAfurharvester

Coons stealing rodent bait stations - 06/22/20 01:16 AM

Hoping some ADC folks could help.
I work for a hog finishing company, several barns
over different locations.
We have plastic bait stations around each barn
baited for rats and mice. The problem we keep
running into is that raccoons (not ruling out skunks and possums also) like to mess with them.
They end up pulled away, torn apart, in from of
mowers, chewed to s***, or just gone.
Baiting them with hawk and/or jaguar chunk bait.

Any ideas on how to keep the rodents away
without drawing the others?
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Coons stealing rodent bait stations - 06/22/20 04:06 AM

SWIA; I've no experience of 'coons and such, personally. But, reading between the lines? Might it not be worth considering upping ye game with the bait boxes?

If they're just moving / messing with them? I'd do my usual practice of attaching them to the wall with wire trace. That works with most things, up to a casual person passing by.

If these 'coons are physically destroying ye boxes though? Big Boys Rules. Steel outer boxes,bolted to the floor / wall, might be the answer?
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Coons stealing rodent bait stations - 06/22/20 09:24 AM

Use better bait boxes, secured properly with a concrete paver or earth anchor.

https://youtu.be/m1kGIxDo5T8

We pay $16 each for these buying them as needed. Buy more, pay less. The video specifically mentions raccoons in it.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Coons stealing rodent bait stations - 06/22/20 02:58 PM

I will be the first to admit that I am surprised at how well the EVO boxes from Bell Labs has kept the raccoons and everyone else away from the bait. I prefer to just feed the rodents. It costs less!
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Coons stealing rodent bait stations - 06/24/20 12:12 AM

A lot of barns use a 2 inch abs T. This makes a self feeder with 18 inches in each branch of T. 2 inch emt steel clamp tapcons to wall, and can be kept up of ground a ways if you put a brick under ends. Top can be sealed.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums