Home

Beaver deceivers

Posted By: Swamp Yankee

Beaver deceivers - 06/26/20 02:41 AM

ok guys so a town reached out to me the other day about a beaver problem and they want them gone. They're flooding a road side pond to the point the water at the top of the dam is 1.5-2 feet higher then the road. Dam is a horseshoe shape and sits 30ft off the road at the furthest point and is 100 yards long. The land owner won't let us remove them but is open to the idea of a beaver deceiver. ( town foreman doesn't want to rock the boat) never done one looking for pointers and advice.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Beaver deceivers - 06/26/20 03:50 AM

Don LaFountain (Trapper Don on Trapperman) probably has as more experience on the use of beaver deceivers/pond levelers than most of us. Below is a link to one of the threads on this subject in which he participated. You might want to PM him.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6141145/del
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Beaver deceivers - 06/26/20 04:00 AM

I have recommended Clemson Pond Leveler setups with success in some areas, not so much in others. They work best in front of culverts.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Beaver deceivers - 06/26/20 12:43 PM

I hope the landowner is footing the bill.
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Beaver deceivers - 06/27/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee
ok guys so a town reached out to me the other day about a beaver problem and they want them gone. They're flooding a road side pond to the point the water at the top of the dam is 1.5-2 feet higher then the road. Dam is a horseshoe shape and sits 30ft off the road at the furthest point and is 100 yards long. The land owner won't let us remove them but is open to the idea of a beaver deceiver. ( town foreman doesn't want to rock the boat) never done one looking for pointers and advice.

It’s too risky in that situation in my opinion to try a Beaver deceiver. It appears right now the road is on the verge of Washaway if there comes a 3 or 4 inch rain. The liability for the town is too great to not get rid of beavers. The loss of life or the threat of someone getting hurt is too great.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Beaver deceivers - 06/27/20 05:15 PM

Sometimes you need to put your foot down and stand your ground.
They have two choices. Trap all beavers which are making dams, or close the road.
Beaver Deceivers/Clemson Pond Levelers have their place, but there are more places where they would fail than where they would work.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Beaver deceivers - 06/27/20 07:18 PM

Don't know what your road right of way is in CT. It might be possible to trap some in the right of way.

Also, do not know what your landowner permission deal is up there either. But I do know that in NC, you would need permission of the landowner to trap on his property. If he says NO, you are out of luck. It does not matter if dam is a threat to your property downstream. His land, his decision.

With the road dept involved, they may have more leverage to protect the road than a private citizen would have. Eminent domain even.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Beaver deceivers - 06/27/20 11:03 PM

^^what QBD said !
the 6 times i installed Clemson Water Levelers they only stayed clear 3 times.
It is imperative to put the end of entry pipe at least 20' upstream and make sure its held down super securely,,,ya gota plan for flash floods, etc.

Re: Beaver deceivers - 06/28/20 10:28 AM

Not sure how the rest of the country operates but if these devices needs maintenance like a John inferred then won’t work long here. Heck they don’t even keep the ditches, creeks rivers cleaned up! They just throw money at a problem ...ie quick fix....instead of having a long term plan.
Posted By: Trapper Don

Re: Beaver deceivers - 07/01/20 06:39 PM

Give me a call. 413 387 5658
I had my old land line disconnected.
Don LaFountain

Re: Beaver deceivers - 07/01/20 06:45 PM

anything man made requires maintance. So!!!
Guve an annual maintance contract. Be really surprised how it adds to your bottom line. Good portion of our business. Fills the voids when you get slow downs

Never fear a big job.
Don LaFountain

Re: Beaver deceivers - 07/01/20 07:07 PM

Don they don’t do that around here....they just band aid the problem. My work is by the job....really no long term contracts here.

Re: Beaver deceivers - 07/01/20 10:41 PM

Didnt here either. Took a long time but changed that. You should look at USDA Wildlife Services and you'll see they do that there.... if it works for t hem it can work for you. Also your state operators are keeping your price structure down. Low ballers not working for advancment of the industry. Call them out. I've been doing it for years here. Got dropped from many Christmas card lists. But things changed here. Got to start sometime. NOW works.
Good luck
Don
© 2024 Trapperman Forums