Home

Sealing metal porch

Posted By: Buck77

Sealing metal porch - 12/22/20 09:32 PM

I have a job right now that I’m about to finish up. There are squirrels getting into the attic and there are holes in the soffit where a metal porch was added in the back of the house. I’m wanting to seal up the gap between the house and the roof of the porch because I don’t want to just seal the holes in the soffit. If I just cover the two holes they will chew another hole right beside it. Any of you guys have an idea on what to use to seal this gap? It’s about a 3 to 4 inch gap and the roof to the porch is ridged metal. I’m thinking of just running heavy duty wire mesh down and cutting notches in it to fit but I’m not sure that this is the easiest/best way.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/23/20 12:15 AM

I'd bend trim coil on a brake. It'll look cleaner and more professional.

Mesh will certainly work, but might not be in charactor for a nice house.
Posted By: JoeyHalk

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/23/20 12:58 PM

I bought a 30" brake from harbor freight for $70. One of the best purchases I've made. You can get a 2' by 50' roll of trim coil from most of the big hardware stores for around $90 and it will do a lot of jobs.

You can bend mesh in it also, but I don't use mesh for fixes very often, unless it's somewhere that no one can see.

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/23/20 05:43 PM

Our first brake was the red cast iron HF one. It worked fairly well. I think picking it up sent me to the chiropractor a few times, lol.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/23/20 10:03 PM

I purchased a 36 inch metal break from Harbor Freight many years ago. I have used it for bending coil stock but more for bending 1 inch X 1/2 inch weld wire to make squirrel traps. For those that may be interested, a link to these traps is at- https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/15184/Squirrels-_Making_cage_traps_f#Post15184
Posted By: Buck77

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/24/20 04:16 PM

Thanks guys!

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/24/20 06:03 PM

Breaks are a really handy tool. Soffits, dormer tie ins, fascias, etc can be fixed for pennies in trim coil. It looks better and is much more solid than emptying a tube of silicone into it like a couple of our competitors do.

We carry a 2ft break for most jobs, and have an 8.5' rigged for bigger jobs. The chiropractic break sits in storage.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/24/20 09:49 PM

Do you guy's color match the trim coil with the house color or paint it .

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/24/20 11:17 PM

Most people want white or brown for soffit/fascia work and grey for foundations, but if they want to, they can pick the color.
I have a 3" thick book of coil colors. We may need to order a coil in if it's an obscure color that our supplier doesn't stock, but you need what you need to get the job done! The pics of the work you can show others can help sell other jobs.

Left over coils of odd colors get used up by the white back side.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Sealing metal porch - 12/25/20 12:10 AM

Thanks for the info .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums