Home

Squirrel bait

Posted By: oneoldboot

Squirrel bait - 01/28/21 11:17 PM

I am banging my head against a wall on a squirrel job. I have been using peanut butter, sunflower seeds, and Jameson's Nut Cracker. Also a dab of almond oil on some. Just not getting them interested in getting them into the trap. Any thoughts? Any cold weather baits? Thanks
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/28/21 11:23 PM

Are these just nuisance squirrels in yard or are they in a dwelling?
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/28/21 11:37 PM

ltgrey made so great stuff. But.....thinking that trap placement is wrong?
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/28/21 11:38 PM

And i do like to "chum"......
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/28/21 11:44 PM

Black Oil sunflower seed is my go to bait. Corn on the cob on the trigger of a coni bear also works, but not when other animals around. JMO

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 12:16 AM

Thanks for asking. I am thinking the access point is between the houses. This is the only spot that I personally witness a squirrel entering- upper corner of neighbors. I have not received permission to access the property from the landlord. [Linked Image]
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 12:29 AM

Can you get to the hole from the roof of the structure the traps are set on?
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 12:35 AM

BLACK walnut pieces from backing dept.

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 01:06 AM

I would use a shelf bracket with a board long enough to reach down under the hole and put a live trap with bait, make sure you fasten the trap to the board. I trap a lot of sqr that way.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 08:35 AM

Since I do not use ladders that high, I would sit and watch with a shotgun.

Seriously I like the idea by Getting There. A shelf bracket and a cage.
Do you actually need to catch them? If not, an excluder door. Then do some fancy carpentry exclusion work.

You better get them out soon or it will be necessary to wait a while.

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 09:46 AM

Thanks for suggestions. On the backside of the house I have caught two- one in the tube trap and another in a koro. I had box traps set, but nothing in them. I may try the box on a shelf as the last hurrah. I have been chasing my tail on this for 3 weeks, when I usually complete in less than a week. I told the homeowner that the only thing I can think of is to cut a hole in the living room ceiling and place a trap. She is less excited about this than I am.

This row home has two inch gap between the neighbors and I think that is where they are getting in. To muddy the water, they do have mice issues. I was thinking that's what the real problem is but they only hear the noise in morning and dusk, not at night.

Willy - I am with you, I don't much care for heights, especially these 3 story homes.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 10:14 AM

I usually set tube traps in gutters.

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 01:38 PM

Not knowing the area, but they have to go some place to eat.
Posted By: JoeyHalk

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 02:44 PM

I'd close that hole up partially with some flashing, cut a hole 2.5" hole in it and place one tube trap over the hole (no bait needed) and the other tube trap on the gutter with bait. I smear PB on the pan and then place some shelled peanuts on the PB. PB acts like glue.

Just saw the part about not having permission from the landlord. That is what I would try though once you get permission.

IF you can't get permission I'd attach a board from the tube trap to just shy of the hole to act as a runway right into the tube.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/29/21 02:53 PM

Mr. Boot,

Wha surveillance info are your trail cameras showing you?

best wishes, Willy

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/30/21 10:46 AM

Thanks all.

I don't have any black walnuts, but do have some hickory nuts so I will try them. I will be giving the runway idea a try today.

Willy, I did have a camera on the back and side of the house and yielded nothing. The camera would grow legs and walk away out front.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/30/21 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by oneoldboot
Thanks all.

I don't have any black walnuts, but do have some hickory nuts so I will try them. I will be giving the runway idea a try today.

Willy, I did have a camera on the back and side of the house and yielded nothing. The camera would grow legs and walk away out front.

Black walnuts have a stronger smell than any of the others in my opinion. Can get packs of pieces at the grocery store in the baking section.

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/30/21 11:41 PM

Did find some walnuts tucked away. Added the "bridge"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Squirrel bait - 01/31/21 12:09 AM

My guess is none left. There may have been more when you started, but if one of the two that you caught was a female in heat, the males would move on to find another mate. Can't catch what's not there.

Re: Squirrel bait - 02/07/21 10:29 PM

After adding the bridge and walnuts I connected with one. I used walnuts on the fence in the rear of the home and got one there too.

They still hear them.

Tried molasses and bird seed and popped another.

When I pulled up this morning, a gray squirrel run up to the balcony, get on the railing, hop my tube trap and climbed to the roof. Grrrrr! mad

Pulled the tube and put up a koro. We'll see what it brings.

Re: Squirrel bait - 02/07/21 10:33 PM

If this doesn't work, i will try a RBG on the column post.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums