Home

Trap Depreciation

Posted By: JT Trapper

Trap Depreciation - 03/08/21 03:17 PM

Hey guys,

Was wondering how you established ADC business owners handle depreciation of traps.

For business tax purposes do you treat your traps as capital assets or do you treat them as a business expense? If you treat them as a capital asset, how do you handle the depreciation? Do you depreciate them over time and if so how many years? or do you write them off as section 179 asset (depreciable assets full value taken in the first year). I've search the web and find no guidance and I'm trying to determine the standard in our industry.

Thanks,

JT
Posted By: JT Trapper

Re: Trap Depreciation - 03/10/21 12:29 PM

Ok, so I have continued to do research and found that under the IRS tangible property regulations that any item costing $200 or less is considered a supply. So unless you are using a trap that costs more than $200.00 you write them off in the same year you buy them.

Might help someone out there trying to do there taxes.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Trap Depreciation - 03/10/21 03:18 PM

I’d PM Bob Jameson and Jim Comstock and Paul and Jonesy and ask them for starters.
Ya could also as a local tax preparer.
It would be similar to a construction companies tools I’d imagine.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Trap Depreciation - 06/17/21 04:31 PM

Find out about "Accelerated Depreciation", so you don't have to depreciate them nickel and dime, over their useful life, which is basically forever.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums