Home

Wouldn't believe leave it, otter

Posted By: Jim Comstock

Wouldn't believe leave it, otter - 03/18/21 12:38 PM

The book says otter grow to 30 pounds, 14 kilos, but they do get bigger. I had just caught 3 otter years ago, 22, 25 and 27 pounds. When I was at a fur sale someone said there was a guy with a 32 pounder. At first you wonder if it was true. A look across the room and it was true alright, massive. Really chunky. I just saw where a 32 plus pounder was caught in Missouri too. Anyway, those are monsters. So what would you call a 52.47 pounds, 23.8 kilos????? If I didn't see the photos and the otter on the scale I never would have believed it.
Posted By: chicken

Re: Wouldn't believe leave it, otter - 03/18/21 01:59 PM

A TANK!!!!!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wouldn't believe leave it, otter - 03/18/21 02:59 PM

In different areas some grow massive.
Coastal otters grow bigger-more and better feed.
Some animals keep on growing the longer they live.This is true for beaver,but I'm not sure if that is the case with Otter.
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: Wouldn't believe leave it, otter - 03/18/21 04:04 PM

You ever seen a South American river otter, them things are massive.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Wouldn't believe leave it, otter - 03/18/21 05:09 PM

These huge river otters are coastal, in B.C., ocean and rivers. I have seen videos and talked to the Washington people who say the big ones they get are 28-30 pounds like most places. It seems these huge otters are specific to a section of the B.C. coast, perhaps extending a bit north, but never had heard of them this big, no doubt the biggest in the world. The South American otter grow to 70 pounds, a different species altogether. Saw a video of a bunch of the Amazon otters killing a large camel. Tough critters. Sea otters can make 100 pounds.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Wouldn't believe leave it, otter - 03/23/21 05:48 PM

The first otter I caught, by accident by the way in a beaver set, weighed 35 lbs
© 2024 Trapperman Forums