Home

Turtle Traps

Posted By: wormbobskey

Turtle Traps - 04/28/21 10:41 PM

I recently built a turtle cage trap, sort of like the colony cages. Solid ramp on the bottom, leading up to the inward swinging door. In Ohio we have to have a 6" opening to allow smaller, non-target turtles to get out. My question is, do I actually have to have the door if I'm doing turtle removal? I have one client in mind who wants me to remove all the turtles, irreguardless of size or species? I went ahead and cut in the doorway, but installed a hinged cover that I can raise or lower depending on what I'm doing. Is this legal or should I go ahead and leave the opening there without the hinged door?
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Turtle Traps - 05/01/21 01:58 AM

Following the regulations is much easier than defending against not following the regulations.
It would not be a valid and convincing defense to claim that some unknown and unqualified stranger on a website forum told me it is unnecessary to follow the regulations.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Turtle Traps - 05/01/21 12:35 PM

I would check with your dnr licensing agent/biologist, to see if there is any stipulation regarding sport trapping vs nwco work. They may just issue a permit to use traps without the escape hole. I wouldn't interpret the regs myself, and get any response in writing to show the Encon officer/game warden.

Re: Turtle Traps - 05/02/21 08:02 PM

I'll talk with our local game warden and see what he says.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Turtle Traps - 05/09/21 01:23 AM

Swinging wire doors will work but they do not work even 50% as well as a throat made from netting. Easy to make the throat from replacement netting for dip nets.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Turtle Traps - 05/14/21 11:25 PM

Where do you get the replacement netting?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Turtle Traps - 05/15/21 01:03 PM

Memphis net/twine company sells a variety of fishing products. Nets and netting products as well.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums