Home

Best cage trap design for grey fox ?

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/11/21 01:47 AM

Posted this in trapping only but no hit so figured I'd as here anyway I'm repainting and tweaking some of the cages I've built the the other night and I've decided this year Id like to cage a grey fox. Just because seems like it would be fun to try. And I'm moving more to cages this year anyhow.From my understanding they're actually not the hardest thing in the world to cage see alot of people just use their cat cages and I different lure ( so I know I don't need one of those giant one people try to cage coyotes in lol),but I'm curious. To the guys who cage grey's pretty frequently , what would be like, the ultimate cage trap for a grey ? I'd really like to build something kinda grey specific . So what do y'all think ? Wide, narrow ? Tall Squat ? Pan or wire trigger ? Single or double door ? Powered door ? Guillotine or ring lock ? Pan closer to the front or further to the rear ?
And not to be rude but I'm not interested in just buying something. Building stuff is a large part of the fun for me .
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/11/21 04:03 PM

I have only ever used the 16x16 X42 pan style cages. This was in the AZ dessert
Posted By: Art Lee

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/17/21 09:22 PM

I've caught a ton of Red's in Williams 12x12 cages. Should work just as well for Grey's.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/18/21 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Art Lee
I've caught a ton of Red's in Williams 12x12 cages. Should work just as well for Grey's.

Not sure this is true
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/18/21 09:46 PM

When I was operating a nuisance wildlife control company I caught hundreds of gray foxes in cage traps. I did catch a few red foxes in the same traps too. Most were caught in the old Havahart 1079 cage trap (10 inches wide X 12 inches high X 32 inches long. A few sample pictures-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoeyHalk

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/19/21 10:50 AM

Please teach us this snow fence trick! Lol.

Are those accidental grays in armadillo sets?
Posted By: AJE

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/19/21 06:07 PM

I'd listen to LAtrapper.

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/19/21 06:29 PM

JoeyHalk-
Originally Posted by JoeyHalk
Please teach us this snow fence trick! Lol.
Are those accidental grays in armadillo sets?

A little more information about the fencing is found at- https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6359110/re-skunk-help#Post6359110
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/20/21 01:19 PM

Ok so will a grey fox walk into a 10 by 12 in a natural setting without being forced in

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/20/21 09:10 PM

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Artrapper16
Ok so will a grey fox walk into a 10 by 12 in a natural setting without being forced in

Yes, especially if the trap is baited as was shown in the previous picture of the pigeon as bait.
[Linked Image]

I have caught many gray fox with both meat baits and fruit baits. I have a trail cam video of trapping a gray fox in my back yard. It consists of about twenty 30 second clips over a few days. I don't how to post on YouTube. Try setting out a couple of trail cams over relocated road kill or beaver carcasses if legal in Arkansas. You may be surprised at what shows up.

Alabama has no closed season (during daylight hours) for hunting of bobcat, coyote, fox, and feral swine. There is a special license available for nighttime hunting of feral swine and coyotes restricted to certain times and places..

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/21/21 09:37 AM

Definitely listening
Posted By: AJE

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/22/21 02:39 AM

LA, it looks like you put the pigeon in a separate compartment in the cage.? Is that your preference?

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/22/21 02:49 AM

Thank you. I tried this setup today for a diller job. Only bad part is Home Depot only has fencing with large holes.

What method do you use for cutting it? Do you cut it still rolled up? I used a sawzall.

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/22/21 02:55 AM

Never mind. I see you used snips in the other thread. Sawzall was quick but if the roll isn’t rolled perfect you will get some odd sized cuts. Worked alright though

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/22/21 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
LA, it looks like you put the pigeon in a separate compartment in the cage.? Is that your preference?

AJE-
Yes, it is a separate compartment. I build them, as needed, for each size trap that I use. They have a door for inserting bait, whether live bait or other bait that I want the target animal to have to work for.

I did finally make an attempt at starting a YouTube channel. I was only able to load three 30 second videos of catching a gray fox in my back yard. They are not loaded sequentially. Here they are-

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI-R4ng4cGC9VW8LGsM1q5Q[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiLsVYl0LrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYr4G5T2qP0
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Best cage trap design for grey fox ? - 09/24/21 11:42 PM

Greys are far from picky when it comes to openings. I catch 6-10 every year in plasti-catches especially when fencing grubbing skunks/coons. If i was going to target greys only, I would run 8-10 wide 12 tall and 30 long.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums