Home

Smart Mama Coon Protecting Kits from Traps

Posted By: Urbancoon

Smart Mama Coon Protecting Kits from Traps - 09/25/21 07:04 PM

Hey All,

I have multiple incidents on camera where kits are headed toward the cages and mama warns them away (can hear the chatter just before the kit runs away from the cage).

Can't get any of the family to commit in spite of different baits and different locations of the traps.

Right now, the last of the apples are falling off locals' trees, so food is quite abundant, but that won't last for more than a couple of weeks--in a month, natural sources of food are going to be pretty scarce. Thought that if the coons don't move off, then they should commit to the cage more readily due to hunger....

Can't using killing traps or footholds where I am. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Smart Mama Coon Protecting Kits from Traps - 09/25/21 08:38 PM

Cable Restraint Devices. Like a snare, only the lock relaxes when the catch stops fighting.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Smart Mama Coon Protecting Kits from Traps - 09/26/21 04:18 PM

If you can use a double door cage in a positive set at an entry point, in time, it might work. Going to a wire trigger cage trap instead of a pan trap, if that's what you are using, can also help.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Smart Mama Coon Protecting Kits from Traps - 09/26/21 07:39 PM

Agreed. Pinch points make good trapping locations too.
Posted By: Urbancoon

Re: Smart Mama Coon Protecting Kits from Traps - 09/27/21 04:25 AM

I don't have cameras everywhere, but I guess if I want to outsmart mom, I guess I'm going to have to find out exactly how they get in/out. Neighbor has a hog-wire fence, so could be anywhere through there, but I'm pretty sure the raccoons come across the back fence and down one of the trees in the back, and through another hole near the gate.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Posted By: run

Re: Smart Mama Coon Protecting Kits from Traps - 12/31/21 08:24 PM

Fish oil, Coons love fish oil.
Posted By: Jediknight

Re: Smart Mama Coon Protecting Kits from Traps - 12/31/21 09:33 PM

Nice fat chunk of carp will get mom and the kids.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums