Home

Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac

Posted By: TNADC

Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac - 01/20/22 01:39 AM

Knowledge base,

I have a squirrel job and I have located the only opening leading to the attic. I have installed a one way door over it and put a couple baited traps in the attic. I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb on how long to leave the one way door in place before sealing it up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards, Wally
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac - 01/20/22 01:06 PM

Only down side with exclusion with squirrels this time of year is chew ins can and may occur in some situations. I prefer to trap them out with a colony trap if possible or multiple single catch traps set around the access hole or climbing point to the access area.

Most squirrels will forage nearly every day unless inclement weather holds them indoors for a few days. Many or most will have a food cache inside to tie them over for short periods if they have been living there for a while and have had time to prepare for winter.

I don't ever set traps in attics or structures unless it is absolutely necessary and the only option. Too inconveniencing to me and the client. This is something that you will learn along the way.
Posted By: iayogi17

Re: Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac - 01/20/22 02:16 PM

I very rarely install just a one-way for squirrels as they'll just move over and chew right back in. If I do install a one-way I'll also set some traps on the outside of the hole to catch the squirrels as they try to figure their way back in.
Posted By: JoeyHalk

Re: Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac - 01/20/22 03:04 PM

Both really good answers and mine is very similar.

I don't use just one way doors and I never set squirrel traps inside unless I can't find the opening which is uncommon. I don't like making appointments to check traps in attics. One way doors and not catching the right squirrels means they will just chew in elsewhere (not always but a lot). I temp close all holes but one and set a one way trap over the hole most times with baited cages close to it.

I always leave it a few days with no catches and check with the homeowner/tenant to make sure they don't hear any noises before sealing up.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Squirrel excluder door - how long to leave in plac - 01/20/22 11:18 PM

Based on my area, they have young
Hope that helps because I was not going to read long response
© 2024 Trapperman Forums