Home

Dispatch of skunks in cage traps

Posted By: danvee

Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/04/22 06:36 PM

New to cage traps but have several properties that is what I need to use. I enjoy cage vs skunk pvc tubes as I also get coons and an occasional cat or fox. Please share advice
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/05/22 12:23 AM

Syringe pole if legal in your area.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/05/22 01:38 AM

Yeah thought of that would like to and may be the only way a 22 round is not a good choice through the small mesh.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/06/22 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Bethell
Syringe pole if legal in your area.

That's how I do it.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/09/22 02:06 AM

Our regs require a euthanasia method approved by the American Veterinarian Assoc. Aphyxiation via CO2 and euthanasia chamber meets the requirement and works well on skunks, raccoons possums etc.. albeit a little slow. I'm sure my time is coming but so far I've not had a skunk spray with this method.

Also, If you're in an area with laws against discharging a firearm you can haul the critters to a more rural area or the CO2 chamber works good.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/09/22 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
Yeah thought of that would like to and may be the only way a 22 round is not a good choice through the small mesh.

Thus far I've lucked out & have not shot the cage.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/09/22 10:41 PM

I always cover the trap. Then you can walk up, pick the trap up and put it in your truck and take it wherever you need to go. If you're going to use the syringe method, which is the method I prefer, couple of things to remember ahead of time. Make sure your syringe fits through your cage trap wire and make sure you lube your syringe plunger. Only time I have ever had one spray with the syringe is when I failed to lube the plunger and had to press pretty hard to get the dang thing to slide down the syringe. He tolerated it for a while, but finally got fed up with me pressing on his side so hard!
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/11/22 04:59 AM

Does anyone use choreiform and is so where can one get it?
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Dispatch of skunks in cage traps - 02/12/22 03:53 PM

Yes, we get it from a local chemical supply business. If it didn't get such a bad review from stupid TV shows, I'm sure it would be used a lot more!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums