Home

Anchor squirrel traps to roof???

Posted By: Corey09

Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/14/22 05:46 PM

How does everyone anchor squirrel traps to roof of houses or do you? I’ve had some flip off from squirrels bouncing around.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/14/22 08:45 PM

We use lethal traps as much as possible, but if I had a cage trap I wanted to use, zip ties with the screw anchor would be my go to.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/15/22 12:03 AM

I have mounted the cages to a piece of thin aluminum or SS to slip UNDER the shingles that can be lifted up gently and screwed to the roof under the tab.
Posted By: Corey09

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/15/22 12:33 AM

I put 2 cage traps on a roof today that had metal ridge cap that was slotted so I was able to tie off to it, but I was thinking about possibly stapling trap to shingles.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/15/22 12:45 AM

Stapling through shingles can cause a leaky roof. Do you want to be responsible for damages? If I discovered someone had done that to my roof I wouldn't be happy!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/15/22 12:36 PM

When needed I do what BigBob does.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/16/22 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
We use lethal traps as much as possible, but if I had a cage trap I wanted to use, zip ties with the screw anchor would be my go to.

Nah, stop putting holes in people's roofs.
Just set two cage traps and counter balance them over the peak if the roof by attaching a long ( as needed) wire to one another.
A trap on one side, one on the other, drape the wire over the peak, pull tight and traps are as stable as can be.

The best animal attractant is : an animal of the same specie

Must I teach you everything ? laugh
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/17/22 06:49 PM

Everyone works out their own methods, but I'll share what I've discovered regarding squirrel trapping methods through 32 years of wildlife control. Having observed squirrels "move" cage traps (and often set them off) as they try to access the bait from the back or sides, I started mounting traps solid by using small wooden trap shelves. Catch rates were much improved. I use the spring-loaded trap mounts from Doug Fields. The small amount of added time for set-up is well worth it, as it only takes seconds to retrieve traps with catches and install another. Also, the droppings and urine from trapped squirrels that soaks the wood adds the ultimate attractant. Squirrels can't move the traps, so are forced to use the door. Traps never get dislodged and fall, which eliminates a major liability potential for hitting someone or damaging vehicles below, etc. I've had many WCOs tell me they've started using this method, and every one of them said they will never go back to unsecured traps for squirrels. From a business standpoint, we need to capture the resident squirrels as quickly as possible. Multiple baited traps in conjunction with posi-sets makes that possible. I'll add some pics as examples. Simple to build, simple to place, fast service times. The last pic doesn't have shelves, just the spring-hooks fastening traps to gutter braces. Small piece of cardboard on the floor for bait. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JoeyHalk

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/17/22 09:19 PM

Awesome post Ron. Have never seen those before but I like them. No drill needed for unscrewing.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/21/22 02:03 AM

I sometimes clip the entrance of the trap to a shingle with a big spring clamp. My squirrel cages close like a Comstock, so the clamp does not interfere with the door closing. Sometimes I screw the trap to a piece of dog eared fence picket for the added attraction, as earlier stated, and then clamp the board to the shingle.
Posted By: i1deagU

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 02/28/22 02:24 PM

That is awesome ron. Is the springloaded spike just to anchor the trap to the wooden shelf? What spring loaded squirrel trap are those?

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/01/22 04:26 AM

Yes, the spring hooks simply attach the traps to the shelf. They are available here: https://www.fieldsdevsupply.com/

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/01/22 02:03 PM

Thank you Ron. You have me sold on those lol

Do you think it works with 1/2” x 1/2” traps?
Posted By: TNADC

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/01/22 05:53 PM

Ron, I looked at that website. It appears they carry the spring loaded clamps but only the type that hooks to something. Are you putting a screw eye on your shelf and then connecting the clamp to that?

Thanks, Wally

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/01/22 10:59 PM

I think there is a hole in the board.

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/02/22 04:00 PM

Holes drilled in boards. Level surface setting shelf has two boards. For angled roofs, riser on one side. Also have a bunch of double-trap shelves.
[Linked Image]
The hole at the end of the long board isn't for a trap. It's how I hang them on the wall in my equipment storage building.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/04/22 05:05 PM

Thanks. That looks like a great idea. I'll need to order a few.

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/04/22 05:12 PM

I WAS going to order them. Shipping was more than the hooks. Dang it.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/04/22 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by TNWildlifeRelo
I WAS going to order them. Shipping was more than the hooks. Dang it.

Good tools don't cost money, They make money.

Re: Anchor squirrel traps to roof??? - 03/05/22 04:08 PM

Ordered ten of them. Probably should’ve ordered more with that shipping price though lol.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums