Home

Any ideas to secure a raccoon size trap to roof?

Posted By: TNADC

Any ideas to secure a raccoon size trap to roof? - 05/09/22 06:59 PM

As the title says, I'm looking for ideas on how to secure a raccoon size trap to the roof. I have a job now where the raccoon has ripped down the soffit on a dormer and made entry to the attic. I have a Comstock pass through trap over the hole and have it secured with hardware cloth screwed into the 2x4s and zip tied to the trap. I'd really like a screw straight down into the roof but that scares me a bit with leaks after I leave. Any ideas from the knowledge base would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Any ideas to secure a raccoon size trap to roof? - 05/09/22 07:36 PM

Piece of plywood bigger than your cage , anchor cage to wood and then TACK the wood down to roof using nails/screws that are just long enough to penetrate through the plywood into shingle roof material....patch each hole with a filler when completed.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Any ideas to secure a raccoon size trap to roof? - 05/09/22 08:13 PM

Carefully lift up shingle tabs to nail/screw plumbing strap or steel band to roof, or, screw thin piece of plywood to roof, then secure trap to the strapping/plywood. Use wedges to keep trap square/plumb, After, Dab of sealer in holes then press tabs back down.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Any ideas to secure a raccoon size trap to roof? - 05/10/22 01:55 AM

If your cage has holes big enough for a coon to reach through make sure you use the plywood like Mike suggested or you will have a lot more to worry about than nail or screw holes.

Re: Any ideas to secure a raccoon size trap to roof? - 05/10/22 06:30 PM

All excellent ideas. I'm thinking of taking a pressure treated fence picket and cutting it in thirds. I'll use my air stapler to put pressure treated furring strips at the trap length. Use a plumbing strap on one end, lift the shingles, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Any ideas to secure a raccoon size trap to roof? - 05/11/22 12:27 AM

Just run a pole barn screw from the top down through the cage
and leave screw in when your finished and caulk it if your worried. Donít over complicate things. Your screw will be under the soffit and out of the rain most of the time anyhow if Iím
Picturing it right.

Re: Any ideas to secure a raccoon size trap to roof? - 05/11/22 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by NE Wildlife
Just run a pole barn screw from the top down through the cage
and leave screw in when your finished and caulk it if your worried. Donít over complicate things. Your screw will be under the soffit and out of the rain most of the time anyhow if Iím
Picturing it right.

thanks
© 2022 Trapperman Forums