Home

10 Min. Rabid Fox Job

Posted By: trapdye

10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 05/27/22 12:50 AM

Got a call about supper time from a big hotel on the lake, They had a Grey Fox that bit three people, One worker & two guests. Just great before a holiday weekend. So I ran down, met with security & got shown wear this was happening, Got out of the truck, Loaded up & walked about 40 yards in this dumpster storage area. I threw some rocks in the brush & out the Fox ran at me. pow.
How would you guys charge for this ?
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 05/27/22 11:38 AM

Very interesting. I got the same call yesterday morning at a different location not many miles from the lake. Grey fox bit one guy and was attacking vehicles. A guy in a pickup backed up to see where the fox went and backed right over him, which was fortunate. The fox went in for testing, but it's a no brainer what is had. About 10 years ago I had a grey fox come out from under a shed a few yards away from me on the attack, but I managed to out run it It had bitten two people earlier. Couldn't outrun it today. Anyway, it was rolling around in a mowed area. Thought I could walk up to it and hit it with a potato hook, but when I took one step it attacked again. It was coming at a dead run, but his time I smacked him a couple of times with the potato hook and ended it. All grey fox.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 05/28/22 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by trapdye
Got a call about supper time from a big hotel on the lake, They had a Grey Fox that bit three people, One worker & two guests. Just great before a holiday weekend. So I ran down, met with security & got shown wear this was happening, Got out of the truck, Loaded up & walked about 40 yards in this dumpster storage area. I threw some rocks in the brush & out the Fox ran at me. pow.

It looks like you run a business. Not sure if you have a hourly rate and mileage or charge by job. Even thought it didn't take long I'd charge a minimum of a hour for being called to handle it, unless you just want to chalk it up as PR work and hope that gets your business name spread around.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 05/28/22 09:17 PM

Extra dangerous work like Rabies on such short notice deserves a premium.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 05/29/22 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
Originally Posted by trapdye

It looks like you run a business. Not sure if you have a hourly rate and mileage or charge by job. Even thought it didn't take long I'd charge a minimum of a hour for being called to handle it, unless you just want to chalk it up as PR work and hope that gets your business name spread around.

This can backfire as others might think you don't charge. I would have to agree with BigBob and charge accordingly. If they disagree I would explain that you still have expenses and you gave them a reduced price since it went as quickly as it did.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 05/29/22 06:28 PM

I never reduce price quotes or bids. Not a good practice to start doing. I have an old good friend in the ADC business, and he gets beat down frequently. Because he doesn't know how to handle it very well. I just say this isn't "Let's make a deal" situation.

You go to a Dr. or some other professional and you are only there a short while etc., They don't bargain with you, I doubt. I have been in the exact situation several times in my business over the years. A professional gets things done quickly in most cases if you are skilled and seasoned operator. Especially if you have been there before and had a good game plan in place.

Occasionally something can present on site challenges no doubt at times. That is just how the real-world works.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 05/30/22 09:59 PM

You should get paid for your knowledge and experience.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 05/31/22 12:46 AM

Guessing weapon of choice is a shotgun?
Posted By: trapdye

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 06/01/22 09:55 PM

Just figured I get some input, Sometimes it feels hard to justify a high charge for a such a fast job. The Hotel sent me a e- mail thanking me for such a fast response. The Director of Operations, who singed off on everything told me that when she had called the NYSDEC earlier that day, She was told they were short staffed & not to worry about the Fox, If it had rabies, It would die within a few days. NYSDEC dispatched an ECO to the Hotel that was three hours out from another county. The three ECO's from the area had just gotten off duty & this was just after the third person had got bitten.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 06/01/22 11:37 PM

It’s great to know you service was appreciated!
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 06/10/22 03:30 PM

Coming from a different industry (trees) I charge double for emergency rates. Anything less than $500 for an emergency response is to low in my opinion.
Posted By: JoeyHalk

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 06/14/22 11:49 PM

If they agreed to it on the phone then it doesn’t matter in my opinion. If it was a previous customer of yours or friend then maybe you can discount but I wouldn’t, especially if it is a business like that.

I got a snake the other day on a holiday. Took me under an hour including the 25 minute drive each way. He called at first and my price was more expensive by $60 and both prices were premium, he just had to wait a couple hours for the other guy. I said that was fine, but if you need me I’ll be there in 30 minutes. Called me back a couple hours later, I guess tired of waiting. So I got in the truck. I showed up, got it done, and they had no problem writing the check.

Sometimes you get lucky on those jobs and sometimes it doesn’t work out lol.

If you had been bit I’m sure you’d think your price was too low.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 07/12/22 01:28 AM

At your own risk, you provided the client and the community with an excellent service and quick response that eliminated the potential for more injury. All were fortunate that you were available, adequately equipped, were capable of taking care of a dangerous problem, and did so. I am guessing they would have no problem paying you a fair price for the service and will likely call you for any animal related issues in the future. Good job!

Dave
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: 10 Min. Rabid Fox Job - 07/29/22 06:00 PM

It's not the time they're paying you for it's your knowledge, skills and availability to solve a problem they needed took care of.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums