Home

Comstock trap rehab

Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Comstock trap rehab - 11/10/22 10:08 PM

We have a bunch of old Gen 1 9x11 cages. They've had hundreds of animals through them, and look like it, lol. But they're still in pretty good condition. I'd like to give them a little love. Is there anything I should be looking at doing besides a pressurewash, a spray paint job, and new triggers?
Posted By: TNADC

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/11/22 05:45 PM

Jim or Judy should come along with some real advice, but I think after you do all that, I'd wax the bars where they meet to power down the doors and shut.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/11/22 11:56 PM

Yeah, I figured Jim would stop in eventually, lol.

I’ve seen him waxing the trigger with chapstick, which is probably a worthwhile thing also.
Posted By: loosanarrow

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/12/22 02:58 AM

I stash crayons in my equipment so I always have one. Pink and purple are the best colors, but brown and black work in a pinch. Ok, i just take the broken ones from my boys crayon basket. Color really doesn't matter.

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/12/22 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
Yeah, I figured Jim would stop in eventually, lol.

I’ve seen him waxing the trigger with chapstick, which is probably a worthwhile thing also.

that sounds even better; chapstick, vaseline, etc.
Posted By: John04

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/14/22 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by loosanarrow
I stash crayons in my equipment so I always have one. Pink and purple are the best colors, but brown and black work in a pinch. Ok, i just take the broken ones from my boys crayon basket. Color really doesn't matter.

See, I personally think the blue ones taste the best. lol

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/14/22 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by John04
Originally Posted by loosanarrow

See, I personally think the blue ones taste the best. lol

The blue ones dipped in glue are wonderful. 1 million kindergartners can't be wrong.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/15/22 12:42 AM

That can make them too sensitive if you are going to set the trap on end or on its side..
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/17/22 08:22 AM

I go over all of my cages every year.
I buy mine powder coated black so they hold up and look good longer.

I do not pressure wash unless really needed. It seems to be hard on the powder coat. I let mine soak in a tub of soapy water then us a brush to get the remaining crud. Very easy. Rinse well and let dry. Touch up with paint as needed.

I converted all of my early models to the new style trigger system with the spring wires. Jim sells a kit. Remove the old trigger wires. A bar with the spring holders mounts on the original bar. Jim supplies hog links. I drilled holes to attach mine. For hardware I used #8 or #10 stainless hex head bolts, washers, and nylon insert lock nuts to fasten mine.

I love the spring wire triggers compared to the old style. Big improvement!
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Comstock trap rehab - 11/17/22 01:45 PM

Pressure washing and some rustoleum gloss paint where needed is all I do. Like footholds and conibears, they just need a little care to keep them working for years.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums