Home

Deepest skunk burrow

Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Deepest skunk burrow - 03/10/23 12:05 PM

In your experience how deep is deep?

Just finished up a week at a customer with a skunk complaint. Den right under the back porch and one under the shed. Caught the female under the shed on night 4.

Doing the repairs and under the porch I dug down, laid down stone to prevent digging and exposed this 10 ft long tunnel that goes under a crawl space under the sun room in the back of the house. I tore everything out of the crawl space and confirmed there wasn’t anything in there and starting from under the crawl space I collapsed the tunnel to ensure nothing was in there.

Just curious what you guys have seen is a far tunnel, this was a little over 10 ft and 2 ft down at its deepest and hugged right along the side of the foundation so I’m sure that’s what made the digging easy.
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: Deepest skunk burrow - 03/10/23 10:56 PM

Never felt a need to dig one out. I exclude the outer perimeter.
Posted By: ToCatchAPredator

Re: Deepest skunk burrow - 03/12/23 01:29 PM

The last night I closed one door to the 2 door cage and put preserved fish in the trap and the day I did the repairs one of the smaller fish was gone. So I tore the crawl space apart to check to see if there was another skunk under there and when I confirmed it wasn’t in the crawl space I wanted to confirm it wasn’t holding out in the tunnel since it was so long. I figured the best way to confirm since my telescopic camera wouldn’t reach that far that I had to collapse it to confirm. There is evidence of smaller rodent tunnels so it could possibly be a red squirrel or moles that took that small fish by the entry of the trap but I had to confirm for the owner it wasn’t down there still
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Deepest skunk burrow - 03/12/23 07:01 PM

Had an old muskrat den that measured 30 ft. The den hole was an old dry entrance that ran from waters edge up toward an old gas lineup into the client's yard. He called me after gas co. ran into accidently. Had caught 'rats out the area for years. Pond dried up a bit and the skunks moved in.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums