Home

beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed

Posted By: TNADC

beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/27/23 05:31 PM

I have successfully caught several beaver this year in conibear and footholds. I have had a few drag my concrete block up to shore. Should I be using a larger house block or two or does it all depend?

Thanks to the knowledge base for some ideas.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/28/23 06:15 AM

Go to a 10 foot rebar drownong rod can't beat them IMO

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/28/23 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jalstat
Go to a 10 foot rebar drownong rod can't beat them IMO

I have one of those and have used it with success in the past. Some conditions require a cable though. thanks.
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/28/23 01:06 PM

As I too found out, concrete blocks are not always the best way to go. Concrete is porous, not very dense, so they just absorb water and are not much heavier than the surrounding water. Steel is good, solid rocks bagged, but it takes quite a bit. I too have had big beaver even drag steel up onto a dam when I didn't use enough. At least thirty pounds of steel or rock I would think. I know the rods are good too, but the truck bed is short and I don't have a rack on top.

It all comes down to front or hind foot catch. With a hind foot it's always good. I sometimes just set for a hind foot with chain and grapples without a slide wire, which is a good catch every time as we all know. Just have to make sure it's not a front foot and they can get on the bank.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/28/23 10:18 PM

I have had them drag blocks back to the shore also but usually on a back foot catch. Not very often though.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/29/23 11:28 AM

The bottom of your waterway is a huge consideration. Hard bottom is bad news for "moveable" weights. Put the same weight in a mucky soft bottom bottom and it is not an issue. Heck in some cases its hard to pull the weight up after the job. I'm like Jim I use a heavy trap, heavy chain and grapple hook the or stake them off.
Posted By: DVinke

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/29/23 02:51 PM

^^^^
Long chain and a t stake
Posted By: Jakeland

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/30/23 03:32 AM

Drown cable and 2 rubber coated boat anchors at 15 lbs a piece and it’s a drowned . But 99% of my catches are front foot
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 04/30/23 01:16 PM

The T bars and long chain does work well. I was too lazy to set up the slider so did that a few weeks ago. Would have been good in any case as he was caught by both back feet, really wound up. The T bars would be really good for a front foot.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/01/23 12:33 AM

Railroad tie plates. 2-3 work very well. Be sure to tie a rope handle. Cable is rough on the hands when throwing it out.
Sarge

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/01/23 05:26 PM

I made some 8 foot rebar with the t about 2 foot up from the bottom for when I was setting a lot of sliders.
Light weight option if you are wearing chest waders. Now I try to get away with hip boots.

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/03/23 03:06 PM

I just made a second drowning rod. Unfortunately for my neighbor, he informed me he is in need of practice with his new welder. I'm giving him some practice on rods and stakes. The 10' fit perfectly in my trapping vehicle; Subaru Outback with a towel on the dashboard. There is no glitter, unicorns, nor rainbows on the backglass.

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/03/23 03:46 PM

I did 8 because the rod is 20 feet= 2 at 8 with a 1 for t
Posted By: BigBob

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/03/23 05:50 PM

I once took some RR plates and welded some spikes thru the plate holes for a guy, set them spike down and stomp them in. Said they were spectacular!

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/03/23 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigBob
I once took some RR plates and welded some spikes thru the plate holes for a guy, set them spike down and stomp them in. Said they were spectacular!

Great idea even with brake drums. You could make the spikes run up and down though the holes and then you would be able to just toss them into the water.
If a wco is doing long term contract work, there weights can stay in the same place you constantly capture beaver.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/24/23 09:31 PM

Why do you find it necessary to drown the beaver ?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/24/23 10:27 PM

That or choot 'em! What else can you do?
Posted By: Boco

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/25/23 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by LT GREY
Why do you find it necessary to drown the beaver ?

Who wants to waste precious line time dealing with a bunch of live animals.
Not to mention the wasted time having to check sets too frequently.
Posted By: Ezana4CE

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/28/23 03:57 AM

Where do you all get these concrete blocks? Is this scrap concrete? After reading this thread I thought about using a bag of hardened Quick Crete. The only thing is transporting it to and from the pond. That’s a real workout since carrying a beaver carcass to the roadside has me a bit winded.

Re: beaver drowning cable - how much weight needed - 05/28/23 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ezana4CE
Where do you all get these concrete blocks? Is this scrap concrete? After reading this thread I thought about using a bag of hardened Quick Crete. The only thing is transporting it to and from the pond. That’s a real workout since carrying a beaver carcass to the roadside has me a bit winded.

We call them concert shoes on lake Powell

Hope the water goes down a litttttttttle more. My uncle Jimmy’s been missing for some time.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums