Home

comstock live trap

Posted By: jalstat

comstock live trap - 06/02/23 08:25 AM

I'm not an ADC guy but was looking at their video for the guys that use them how often do you replace the trip wires seems like a coon would destroy them each catch except I believe they fold to the side when tripped and that may make a difference .
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: comstock live trap - 06/02/23 11:05 AM

The trip wires are spring steel and the ends are coiled and slide onto posts on the trip mechanism. They usually dislodge from the posts after a catch and you slide them back on when you reset. Actually a pretty durable set up but easily replaceable if damaged or lost.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: comstock live trap - 06/02/23 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
The trip wires are spring steel and the ends are coiled and slide onto posts on the trip mechanism. They usually dislodge from the posts after a catch and you slide them back on when you reset. Actually a pretty durable set up but easily replaceable if damaged or lost.

Thanks sir appreciate your input
Posted By: Trapper_Dusty

Re: comstock live trap - 06/02/23 04:59 PM

I believe originally the trip wires were fixed to the trap and they probably did get ruined more easily. I find, as mentioned, that the trip wires fall off easily and that seems to save them. They are just put back on after a catch. It was a good upgrade.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: comstock live trap - 06/04/23 01:11 AM

Gen 1 system got mangled, but stayed in the trap. It also could rub the animal and poke them,, injuring them.. Gen 2 comes off, and stays in the trap. Gen 3 comes off, does not stay in the trap, and the eyes get damaged pretty frequently where they don't slide back on. I suspect animals chew on them and get them out of round. I bet a nail set would stretch them back to round but I've never tried that. I keep a bag of triggers and swap them out. Gen 2 is my favorite. If you ask Jim nicely, you can still buy Gen 2 triggers for your traps.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: comstock live trap - 06/06/23 11:23 PM

The old style was a pain the newer clip on triggers work great and easy to replace when lost.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: comstock live trap - 06/07/23 10:43 AM

It’s the lost part that irritates me. The Gen 2 don’t fall out of the trap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums