Home

pace maker

Posted By: angeloflove

pace maker - 03/24/10 07:43 PM

right now i would like a little information on how they work,including the good and the bad about them. my husband is getting one put in soon and it's got me worried
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: pace maker - 04/07/10 06:23 AM

There's no problems that I have noticed. If he's getting 1 he needs it and will have more gusto. Other than having a lump in your shoulder which makes carrying a heavy pack unfeasible mine is not a problem.

Re: pace maker - 04/22/10 07:30 PM

thanks waterrat
Posted By: Ohio Andy

Re: pace maker - 04/22/10 07:54 PM

My grandmother was on having serious health issues in the early 1980's. She had a pacemaker put in and was different person for her remaining years. More energy was the biggest difference.

That same unit was with her for almost 20 years without issue.
Posted By: climb8000meters

Re: pace maker - 04/25/10 03:43 AM

The pacemaker is placed by first accessing the subclavian vein with a needle under the clavicle (collar bone). Once a veinous flush of blood is achieved a wire is placed through the needle and the needle is removed. a small nick in the skin it then made. Then a dilator and catheter is placed over the wire. The wire is removed. The catheter is a tube that is now in the subclavian vein. Then one or two pacing wires is placed through the catheter and slid through the vein into the heart. The cardiologist knows where he is by looking at the electrical signal from the wire that is generated by the heart muscle itself. The pacing lead or wire has a small cork screw on the tip. It is guide thought he tricuspid valve into the ventricle and then screwed into the muscle. The wire will permanately sitting through the tricuspid valve. then the wire is hooked up to a generator and batter assembly. A small pocket under the skin is created for the generator. the wound is sutured closed and the left arm is in a sling for about 1-2 weeks whie he pocket heals. The battery generally lasts between 10-1-20 years depending on how much pacing it needs to do. The new pacers can sense when the heart is conducting and will not pace during those times. They can also tell if someone is active and increase the set rate up to 120 beats per minute so that when someone is exercising they have a high enough heart rate. The pacer is usually set at 60 beats per minute as the back up rate. That way if the native pacermakers in the heart itself slow down too much or are unable to conduct electricity properly the implanted pacemaker will then pace at 60 bpm.
Posted By: woodchuck

Re: pace maker - 04/25/10 07:23 PM

Haven't been on here in months and saw this. Last open heart surgery I had (2000) they needed to put in a pacemaker/defibrilator. Battery only lasted 5 years but that was because of the defibrillator so they had to replace it. The pacing you don't feel and like others have said the only bad thing is the bulge by the left shoulder. I slip my shoulder harness while in the car behing my back as my second one seemed to be bothered by it where my first didn't. Ask the doctor but he may be limited if working over the engine of a car (I think they just say that as a disclaimer as I've never had a problem). Also make sure you let them know if going through any type of a metal detector or you'll have several uniformed gentlemen around you VERY FAST, lol. Again, the pacing he shouldn't feel but the defibrillator (slows the heart if it goes over a set heart rate, mine is 179 bpm, will give a...how shall I say... awakening to you as it is basically like the ones you see on tv where they use the paddles. He'll be fine with it, it's just the idea and the not knowing that worries you but as said, the doctors know exactly what they are doing and it is very routine. By the way, in both cases I never had to use a sling, just watch lifting for a bit.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: pace maker - 04/25/10 11:11 PM

I used to date a girl, whos step grand father made the pm a viable medical device....
didn't invent it, but made the improvements to make it work..
Posted By: woodchuck

Re: pace maker - 04/26/10 01:29 PM

Don't know if you knew this or not but periodic checks should be done probrably every 6 months is what they have me do. Actually it's pretty cool. At the office they put the adhesive patches (whatever they are called) and hook the wires up tp them. One goes on the inside of each ankle and wrist. A hockey puck sized sensor goes over the device and they can see the entire period since the last check. If any adjustments need to be made they can just touch the computer screen and make them. For me it's office and 6 mo. later do it from home via a device that you place over it and send by phone and 6 mo; later to the clinic...etc.
Posted By: 45/70

Re: pace maker - 04/29/10 08:24 AM

Now a days, they give you a device that reads the pace maker
electronically, and transmits the data via telephone to the supervising doctor.
45/70

Re: pace maker - 05/11/10 11:35 PM

thanks every one.
thats how bill's grand mother had hers checked was with a phone.
any one else and again thank you so much every one and god bless you all
Posted By: 45-70

Re: pace maker - 06/02/10 05:31 AM

There's no real problems with them. However,they may not allow the use of some other diagonistic tools or procedures.
Adios,
45/70
© 2024 Trapperman Forums