Home

Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For ..

Posted By: Davexx1

Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 07/18/19 09:53 PM

Just turned 70 on June 12th, had a routine Dr check up last week. Dr said now that I am 70 and have had somewhat high cholesterol (210-220+-) most of my life, I am now in a higher risk bracket for heart attack or stroke. He wants me to start taking high cholesterol med to reduce chances of heart attack and/or stroke. I am not a pill guy and really don't want to take anything everyday for the rest of my life, but he said I need it to stay healthy. Anybody else on those drugs? What are you taking? Did it help? Any side effects?

Thanks, Dave
Posted By: AJE

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 07/19/19 12:31 AM

Symvastatin works good for a lot of people. It helps me.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 08/03/19 04:36 AM

There are ways to lower the bad stuff and increase the good stuff thru diet.
Talk to your doc,get him to set you up with a dietician,Work with the dietician to lower your triglycerides and bad cholesterol thru your diet.3 to 4 months after that, you can take another blood test to see how well it is working.

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 08/03/19 05:24 AM

I agree Boco.

I struggle the most to raise the good cholestol. There's no good pill for HDL, either.

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 10/02/19 03:24 AM

Atorvastatin 10mg tabs are what my Dr put me on and will check my chloresterol levels again in 90 days. Its probably a generic for something else. I have been taking it for two months now and haven't noticed any problems or issues yet.

Anybody else taking this stuff? If so, how is it working for you?
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 10/04/19 04:52 AM

So the doctor sees it a problem that God gave you a gift where if you eat enjoyable things, you will probably stroke out or keel over from a heart attack in a moment, instead of being in a geezer home locked up for years, as you turn into a vegetable. My mother just died last year on a walk. She never was on meds a day in her life. 89 years old and her heart just quit. I was with her and she was gone like that. The coroner told me it was a blessing as his mother in law had just died in a hospice from cancer, and he called it a torture chamber.
Everyone is going to die from something and there are a whole lot of things worse than death.

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 11/10/19 12:53 AM

Just recently had a follow up lab test/blood work up to check my cholesterol after having been on the cholesterol lowering drug Atorvastatin for only 90 days. My cholesterol dropped from 200+ to 157.

Its not surprising that a life time of fried foods, rice & gravy, cheese burgers, buffet food, etc doesn't need some help to reduce the risk of stroke, heart attack, etc. I'll probably never give up the country cooking buffets.

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 11/10/19 02:42 AM

Statins work pretty well.
Posted By: dsmc

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 11/19/19 11:40 PM

Statins work well for me too.
If you develop muscle cramps get some CoQ10. The statins deplete CoQ10 from your body and that causes cramps in a lot of folks.
I take 200 mlg. daily and it keeps the cramps at bay most of the time.
Posted By: charles

Re: Just Turned 70, Dr Said Its Time For .. - 12/21/19 06:13 AM

Lipatore for about 30 years with great results. Still ugly though.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums