Home

Keeping Lard in Liquid State

Posted By: Aix sponsa

Keeping Lard in Liquid State - 12/31/17 01:26 AM

Is there anything I can add to lard to keep it from solidifying?
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Keeping Lard in Liquid State - 12/31/17 03:10 AM

Maybe peanut oil or vegetable oil. Not sure
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Keeping Lard in Liquid State - 12/31/17 09:06 PM

Id try Glycerin in a small test jar
Posted By: PWC

Re: Keeping Lard in Liquid State - 01/01/18 12:22 AM

Heat ! lol
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Keeping Lard in Liquid State - 01/01/18 01:36 AM

The bio chemistry answer is long and complicated as it has to do with long chain and short chain molecules. As I doubt you are looking for a PHD, lard is what it is, a product that will not melt at pig body temperatures which is above room temperature, so a pig will not leak.
Any attempt to dilute it will just suspend the solid in the liquid.
The short answer is the lure makers used seal oil, which now an offense like numbers of things due to regulations. The current liquids are salmon and fish.

This will not help your oil, but my Mom mentioned that back in the 1950's when they were just starting out, they fed their hogs for butchering millet. When they butchered that "lard" never did set up like corn fed hogs did, and was more oily. That is a great deal of work for a lure base.

Beaver might be a consideration for oil, as cold water mammals are of an oil group and not lard, lanolin or tallow.

Re: Keeping Lard in Liquid State - 01/01/18 03:07 AM

Wow, what a great answer, and it was sure a lot more in depth than I would have ever expected anyone here to give. I sure do appreciate your time and answer. Thank you.

I just finished pouring hot lard into 3 jars to run a little test when I sat down and read your reply. Looks like I know how it's going to turn out. Thanks, again.

....if only I had some smoked seal lard... lol

Re: Keeping Lard in Liquid State - 01/01/18 05:27 PM

I tried it with a few different suggested agents. If anything, it became a tincture of sorts. I'm satisfied.

Thanks all
© 2024 Trapperman Forums