Home

Maggots

Posted By: Coyotejody1979

Maggots - 01/30/18 11:16 PM

I buried several buckets of bobcat,beaver and groundhog 2-3 years ago.Dug up one today and it had a few dead maggots on top.Is it all ruined?
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Maggots - 01/31/18 12:56 AM

Are there maggots inside?....or on top of lid?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Maggots - 01/31/18 01:18 AM

What does it smell like?That will tell you if it is any good or not.

Re: Maggots - 01/31/18 02:37 AM

There's maggots inside i guess from before i got it cut up and buried.It smells sweet/sour not really sure what ots supposed to smell like.the maggots are only on top best I can tell
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Maggots - 01/31/18 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Coyotejody1979
There's maggots inside i guess from before i got it cut up and buried.It smells sweet/sour not really sure what ots supposed to smell like.the maggots are only on top best I can tell

Should be OK. Put some in a hole and see what comes to it. Trail Cam if you have one, if not do it in a sandy spot and look at the tracks.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Maggots - 01/31/18 03:35 AM

If it smells like sewage it is spoiled.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Maggots - 01/31/18 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Boco
If it smells like sewage it is spoiled.

Should be good for possums!

Re: Maggots - 01/31/18 04:39 AM

Smells pretty smooth,think I'm gonna try and see.Im thinking it will be okay,just wanted yalls opinions.Dogs seem to like it without rolling
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Maggots - 01/31/18 02:28 PM

Place the affected container in a chest freezer for a couple days until it is totally frozen then remove it. If there are any maggots in the material they will all crawl to the surface of the material. At this point they will be dead and they can all be skimmed off with a spoon or butter knife.

This is an instinctual survival behavior for the maggots in an attempt to escape from the encroaching frost/freeze conditions. I have to do this now and again due to some batches getting breached by some maggots at times. It happens commercially but not often. If you take precautions most all of these problems can be fixed.

It is a good practice to check your batches of aging materials frequently in order to stop the continued spoilage. You can loose total batches of meats and glands if you don't catch it soon enough. If it doesn't seem bad it should be fine.

At this point the material will be insect free.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Maggots - 02/01/18 01:17 AM

I wouldn't be afraid to use it one bit.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Maggots - 02/01/18 05:18 AM

Canines will eat it all night, adds flavor.

Re: Maggots - 02/01/18 02:25 PM

Added some sweet skunk,guess I'll know soon enough
© 2024 Trapperman Forums