Home

Keeping carp

Posted By: Cooncreek II

Keeping carp - 04/03/18 07:18 AM

Going to do a little bow fishing with my son-in-law this year, what is a good way to keep carp till trapping season?
For coon,mink maybe canine?
Posted By: Rcates

Re: Keeping carp - 04/05/18 01:10 AM

Read the thread a little farther down called "Fish chunk bait?" That's about all I can help you. I didn't get very many answers on that thread but plan on giving that recipe a try this year as I too plan on doing some bowfishing. Good luck smile
Posted By: AJE

Re: Keeping carp - 04/05/18 02:43 AM

Freeze 'em.

Re: Keeping carp - 04/05/18 06:17 AM

Thanks Rcates, I didn't see your thread. My dad used to take me bowfishing in the early 70's, boy was that fun!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Keeping carp - 04/05/18 12:46 PM

gut them, cut/chop (hatchet) them into the size chunks you want, and in a 5 gal bucket (or even something bigger if needed) ...layer of salt, layer of fish, layer of salt, layer of fish...until 3/4 full. Then start another bucket/container.
Wear a skinning apron when chopping!

You'd be wise to look in the Archives--bait/lure forum also
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Keeping carp - 04/05/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: AJE
Freeze 'em.

To prevent having a huge frozen wad of fish, difficult to separate........Best to lay pcs on a tray covered with wax paper, once frozen, then put into larger container
Posted By: AJE

Re: Keeping carp - 04/06/18 03:32 AM

Good idea

Re: Keeping carp - 04/06/18 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Keeping carp - 05/20/18 05:12 PM

Chunk and freeze in container amounts you think you’ll use in a day. It also doesn’t hurt to grind to the consistency of chunky applesauce. This works in DPs set at river side or in a horizontal pipe shoved into a verticle river bank or shoved into a pocket. In a good year, we’ll burn thru several gallons of chunked sheephead or suckers on our river line.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Keeping carp - 05/20/18 11:53 PM

Fillet them. Cut the skin off the fillet. Don't worry bout bones. pack the meat into pint canning jars with 1/2 tsp of salt. Don't use quarts use pints. Put a lid on. Preasure for 1 1/2 hrs. at 10 pounds. Put the contents in a bowl. Add an egg for each jar. Roll crackers into crumbs and add to the fish and eggs. You want it like a wet dough. Make patty's and fry. Any you don't want to eat will keep for years left sealed in the jars. Make's a good bait lots of smell. Coyotes and bobcats are not averse to working a canned carp set either. If you don't eat it all yourself. mix miracle whip and sweet pickle relish together and smear some on those patties.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Keeping carp - 06/08/18 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: traprjohn
gut them, cut/chop (hatchet) them into the size chunks you want, and in a 5 gal bucket (or even something bigger if needed) ...layer of salt, layer of fish, layer of salt, layer of fish...until 3/4 full. Then start another bucket/container.
Wear a skinning apron when chopping!

You'd be wise to look in the Archives--bait/lure forum also

What we do with gar
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Keeping carp - 06/08/18 08:26 PM

gar are delicious.

go out and cast net shad for bait. fill a five gallon bucket pretty quick. run them through a grinder whole while fresh then freeze. thaw as needed.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Keeping carp - 06/09/18 02:24 AM

Gut em then place in freezer. Once they have stiffened up a bit run em through your band saw.

Or like traprjohn said.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums