Home

Ambergris

Posted By: Bruce Rhoads

Ambergris - 05/04/18 03:02 AM

I have a regular source but am looking to try buying some samples online to see what quality there is. When you google it there is a ton out there. Have any of you fooled with this? Any source I should avoid that you have already tried?
Posted By: Bruce Rhoads

Re: Ambergris - 05/04/18 12:13 PM

Crickets lol
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Ambergris - 05/04/18 12:35 PM

Ambergris I've seen for sale is like tonquin. So pricey I think I live without it just fine. I don't believe my catch would improve any using either one. If it did go up no way in the world it would be more than a handful of skins. Cant justify the expense.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Ambergris - 05/05/18 01:06 AM

Doesn't seem that costly when you figure how much of the product is actually in an ounce of lure. Im just learning but a little bit goes a long ways. Actually goes a really long ways. I found out the hard way. I put a enough in a formula that I thought I could just slightly smell it (and I'm talking the amount was measured in drops) and about a week later it completely overpowered the whole formula.

Re: Ambergris - 05/05/18 01:47 AM

Are you talking about tonquin yes sir?
Posted By: Adam Potaczek

Re: Ambergris - 05/05/18 02:25 AM

Ambergris is strong and can be overpowering for sure. Can be a very good ingredient in curiosity lures. Most ambergris is imitation and is reasonably priced. Real ambergris would be very high priced. Adam

Re: Ambergris - 05/05/18 03:31 AM

No it was ambergris. The base I used it in was pretty mild and I didn't add much of anything else. About a week late all I could smell was the the ambergris.

Re: Ambergris - 05/05/18 01:46 PM

Was it fake ambergris? if not how did you tincture it?
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Ambergris - 05/05/18 03:12 PM

Don't give up on the lure you think is overpowered. I use Mel Hershbergers cat gland formula which calls for ambergris and it was a lot more noticeable day one than day 300. The cat started coming back on.

Re: Ambergris - 05/05/18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
Was it fake ambergris? if not how did you tincture it?
I got it from Mr Dobbins or Mr Jamison
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Ambergris - 05/05/18 10:07 PM

If you got it from me, it is imitation. It's really strong stuff.

Re: Ambergris - 05/06/18 11:34 AM

I found this for natural product. From what I understand it is tinctured in ethanol after grinding with a mortar and pestle. 360 bucks for ten grams with shipping added. Less than a half ounce. I assume its a weight measure though and not volume. Anybody know how much ethanol should be added? Don't think I'll try it but I am curious.

https://www.ambergris.co.nz/buy-ambergris

Re: Ambergris - 05/06/18 12:03 PM

Yeah that would be a little more expensive than what I payed for mine
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Ambergris - 05/06/18 10:23 PM

danny,

I'm no expert, but I'd GUESS that real ambergris might be considered a whale product and could bring unwanted federal attention.

just a guess, though.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Ambergris - 05/07/18 03:51 PM

When ordering federal protected ingrediants, at times it is followed quickly by Feds after delivered to your home.....Gulp !
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Ambergris - 05/20/18 03:22 PM

I too am under the impression it is a federally restricted product. If memory serves, it is a byproduct of the sperm whale (vomit) and is protected until the sperm whale gets off their list. Thus, the synthetic stuff. But, if the sunthetic stuff fools canines, who cares?
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Ambergris - 05/26/18 12:39 PM

I use the imitation.
Posted By: lureintheanimal

Re: Ambergris - 06/07/18 12:33 PM

I think Jonas may have gotten a taste of it when he was in that belly of a whale, In it's Purest Un-Oceanic maceration! LOL
In its raw form, on the beach, it is Black as pitch, with a ! of a fowl Odor! wink It is cheapest in cost in this raw form though, rough stuff! better to smell quill skunk!
New Zealand, Africa and etc. collect/find a bit once in a blue moon, maybe not that often! smile

I smell a dryer sheet in the Art. though, works ok! smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums