Home

How to thicken bait

Posted By: BullOx

How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 02:17 AM

How do you make your bait thicker? Thinking about a bait I want to try but it will be pretty watery and I'd like it pretty thick
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 10:44 AM

you need to add more information
Posted By: TDHP

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 10:55 AM

Originally Posted By: BullOx
How do you make your bait thicker? Thinking about a bait I want to try but it will be pretty watery and I'd like it pretty thick

Pretty broad ?.... What kind of "materials" are in the bait? That would "probably" help out in guiding you in the right direction.

"Materials" matter when trying to thicken ya "product". These two predator bait/lures are very runny without the ingredient in the middle of them. Turns a meat base into a nice paste without drying it out and thickens up to a sticky smear bait/lure. You also have to be careful not to dilute the "product" or "magic" in a jar. This thickening ingredient carries a nice odor to it suitable for predators that's why I like and use it. Plenty of things out there that are odor free, but not knowing what "materials" you're trying to thicken is just one big mystery.

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 11:57 AM

One of them is a meat base that's to runny for my liking, the other is going to be for raccoons so it's going to have a lot of sweets like jelly in it. I haven't made the raccoon one yet but I can tell by the ingredients it's going to be runny
Posted By: sgs

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 01:01 PM

There's a product called Thick-It that might help. I've had good luck with it.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/thick-it-fo...AiABEgLvqfD_BwE

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 01:35 PM

I might try that sgs thank you
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 03:11 PM

If you go to JR and Sons and go through their ingredients list theirs a couple products listed as thickeners. Also Northland Supply has a product called carboxwax that can be used along with bone meal, blood meal and fish meal. F&T has fish grease.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 04:22 PM

Common items available that can be used as thickeners. Lecithin, corn starch, flour, bone meal and sure gel etc. Terra Sorb is another common one that can be purchased on line or at some local nurseries at times. Most of these items are neutral with regards to odor as well.

Again, it depends upon the material that is to be thickened as to what is best and how much will be needed. Pure cellulose is a product used in the food industry that is fairly taste neutral and has many uses for viscosity in a product. It absorbs moisture of all kinds.

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 05:04 PM

The scent of those things don't affect how well k9s respond to the bait Bob?

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 05:05 PM

I'll look into that yes sir
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/28/18 11:38 PM

the amount of over all liquid your trying to thicken plays a big role on the item you decide to use as well .Rice works as well and takes on the scent of the host material. LOL BUT IT WILL FREAK YOU OUT THINKING MAGGOTS GOT IN YOUR BAIT!!
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/29/18 10:46 AM

Arrowroot
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: How to thicken bait - 07/31/18 08:02 PM

Try flower.
Posted By: ShonIngram

Re: How to thicken bait - 04/02/19 09:22 PM

Anyone know what Kaatz's thickener is made of?
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: How to thicken bait - 04/02/19 10:50 PM

Happy birthday Bob.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: How to thicken bait - 04/04/19 03:27 AM

Has anyone ever tried cattail "down"? Reason I asked is a man used it to thicken his catfish bait. The best prepared bait I've ever used. Quana bait. He has passed and I don't know if anyone kept it going. Just thinking on line.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: How to thicken bait - 04/04/19 03:29 AM

Has anyone ever tried cattail "down"? Reason I asked is a man used it to thicken his catfish bait. The best prepared bait I've ever used. Quana bait. He has passed and I don't know if anyone kept it going. Just thinking on line.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: How to thicken bait - 04/05/19 02:20 PM

Corn meal for coon bait

Blood meal for canine baits

Grawes and JR's and a few others sell "thickener" too...,,which should be in the gang of catalogs on your desk.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums