Home

Horse meat/ Grinding

Posted By: ScottPhillips

Horse meat/ Grinding - 08/13/18 10:58 AM

Time to grind a horse up this week, I will try to get some video to share with our T-man people. I have a 36 horse Kohler V-twin Coupled to a 3 speed general motors transmission that is coupled to the grinder, it all sits on a military generator trailer so it can be towed to the site, easy cleanup leave the mess out on the ranch..Vulchers have to eat too!

Scott
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Horse meat - 08/13/18 05:25 PM

I'd like to see a pic of that.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Horse meat - 08/13/18 06:53 PM

YA that would be cool to see. Sounds like a grinder like that all you need is a crane to lower the horse into the grinder throat!
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Horse meat - 08/13/18 09:10 PM

A 36 horse grinder?? Wow, this I gotta see!!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Horse meat - 08/13/18 09:25 PM

you must sell a lot of horse meat to need a grinder that will do 36 horses at a time

Re: Horse meat - 08/13/18 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
you must sell a lot of horse meat to need a grinder that will do 36 horses at a time
all wrong on this one Danny .... it takes 36 horses to grind up their best friend.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Horse meat - 08/14/18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ScottPhillips
Time to grind a horse up this week, I will try to get some video to share with our T-man people. Scott

I can't wait to see that! If you post it on another forum, give us a "heads up" on here, as to where you post it.

Re: Horse meat - 08/14/18 09:42 PM

Tomorrow is the day I will have to figure out how to post pictures!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Horse meat - 08/15/18 09:58 AM

Is that the grinder I read about in a Trappers World or other mag several yrs ago that USED to be powered by a 4 cyl car engine?

Re: Horse meat - 08/15/18 12:08 PM

I wrote an article for the Furtaker Magazine about it. 12 to 15 years ago it had an old single cylinder motor on it. I couldn't get parts for it any longer so I put the 36 horse Kohler on it about 12 years ago. I ground 400 bobcats in a day with the new motor and was hooked. More torque, lighter motor, the old one was an anchor for the Titanic. I put it on a Military trailer for easy manuvering. Two guys can spin it around and move it if the ground is flat. I placed it on the trailer so the weight is balanced. Hope to get pictures today before and while grinding!

Re: Horse meat - 08/15/18 03:41 PM

please do it sounds very interesting
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Horse meat - 08/15/18 06:40 PM

I want to see it! Please do!

Re: Horse meat - 08/15/18 07:05 PM

Video...complete with sound!lol
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 03:11 AM

I believe your article said you cleaned it by running a few loafs of day old bread thru it.

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 03:34 AM

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 03:35 AM

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 03:35 AM

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 03:36 AM

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 04:06 AM

WOW, thank you for showing your grinding operation. That was amazing!

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 04:17 AM

yes thank you that's a serious grinder there!!Was that a whole knuckle or joint? If so im amazed
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 10:34 AM

Just amazing. Thnks for sharing

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 11:28 AM

Answer a few questions, yes to the 4 loaves of bread for the clean out. There were whole knuckle joints run through the grinder. The leg bones are cut up with a saws-all so the auger can grab a hold of them. The side rack of ribs is cut off and then and split up with a knife and run through also.

It is my experience that grinding the bone keeps your grinding plate cleaner, and helps to grind the meat better, the stringiness of horse wants to clog the plates up but the bone helps to grind it and flow through the grinding plate,

I have been taught and know that to make the best bait you must include the bone with all it's marrow. Canines chew bones to get to the inside marrow!

Any other questions I will be glad to answer. My grinding plates are 8 3/4 inches across, I lubricate parts with vaseline.
I would say this grinder and transmission are about 70 years old.

Hope you enjoyed, the sound was hard because of all the back ground noise.

Scott
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 12:26 PM

cool
Posted By: Mac

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 02:01 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Mac

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 02:16 PM

that's absolutely astounding never knew such a monster of a grinder was ever made! Like you I prefer the bone in my baits as well.In my mind it just seams natural

Re: Horse meat - 08/16/18 03:48 PM

That's cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to show videos to my horses and tell them they better start riding better.

Re: Horse meat - 08/17/18 02:01 AM

That's cool Scott. Thanks for posting!

Re: Horse meat - 08/17/18 09:37 AM

looks like that thing could grind 36 horses in a day laugh
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Horse meat - 08/17/18 11:24 AM

That is the way to run a big batch of meat Scott. We have a large 220 volt grinder similar to that. Our plates are 6 inch and it is a beast. I don't use it often but when needed it is the way to go. Those big bones can be hard on the knives over time.

After grinding a load of meat or glands I remove the knife and plate and run some rags and small towels through the grinder. It cleans the auger and grinder throat out real good. I use the rough surface towels and a few old fruit mesh bags that come with grapefruit etc. that scour the interior clean. A couple runs through of the rags and mesh is usually all that is needed.

Very little cleaning needed except for the auger shaft entry point heading into the motor housing. A little cleaning with a butter knife removes most of the residual material.

Re: Horse meat - 08/17/18 11:45 AM

Thanks Bob, after the bread I take the auger out spray things off. After this batch the grinder housing was shiney, The auger crushes the bones for the most parts. A good tip is don't run teeth through the grinder and make sure there are no rocks or gravel stuck in your meat, these are very hard on your knives of any grinder. I like to chunk up the meat when it is on the carcass then place it in clean buckets. We cut the bones on a table with a saws-all to keep things clean. It is amazing how much bone marrow adds to your bait!! I have a small 1 horse grinder for glands,

Scott
Posted By: Boco

Re: Horse meat - 08/18/18 08:12 PM

Ever thought of putting a bigger hopper on it?Load up with a shovel/fork?
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Horse meat - 08/18/18 09:10 PM

Wow! Couldn't find the thread earlier today. Glad I kept looking. That thing is awesome. My wife immediately said, "DON'T be gettin' no ideas!" laugh I'm not that serious about my bait making. It's pretty cool to see the process and the machine that does it. Thanks for sharing!

Re: Horse meat - 08/18/18 10:30 PM

my grinder is put together from parts. runs on a 110 motor and a belt. will grind 5 gallons up reasonably fast. big horse bone would need busted up pretty good. like using ground hogs. head feet tail cut off and gutted. meat hide and bone gets ground up. works as good as any predator bait I ever bought when I spice it up a bit. I don't sell it and 5 gallons is a lot of sets.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Horse meat - 08/18/18 10:57 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Re: Horse meat - 08/19/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: danny clifton
I don't sell it and 5 gallons is a lot of sets.

I made 5 gallons beaver last month, and a gallon of mice. Should last until I tip over.

Re: Horse meat - 08/19/18 03:54 AM

Al don't lie your going to get addicted to makin bait and end up buying one of those monsters! And yes danny guys don't realize how long it takes to go thru 5 gallons of bait. there are a crap load of tablespoons worth in a 5 gallon bucket!
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Horse meat - 08/19/18 11:33 AM

Scott and Bob, can the grinder handle beaver tails? Have used chunked beaver tail up in dirt holes before did.... just O.K but had to ask...thanks.

Re: Horse meat - 08/19/18 12:01 PM

Yes Mine will grind them.

Re: Horse meat - 08/23/18 11:55 AM

I have to say I did not think this post would get as many views as it has. I hope readers enjoyed the chance to see the work that goes into grinding!

Re: Horse meat - 08/24/18 03:16 AM

thanks scott but theres a ton more work in a small grinder. Your set up without a doubt is the way to go if you grind much. THANKS AGAIN its neat to see how the pros roll!
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Horse meat - 08/24/18 03:50 AM

I loved it!!!
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Horse meat - 08/25/18 01:55 AM

Thanks Scott and everyone else that offered something. If it’s not off topic too much do you guys mind sharing some of your next steps.
I ground up some whistle pigs last year but did not have enough grinder to do bone ( barely had enough to grind the meat ) made a decent bait with just a few added ingredients. I started with a strong 9 day taint !

Re: Horse meat - 08/25/18 03:01 AM

The taint all depends on what you want your end product to be. I like to mix everyday, until it is ready. Then I stop it. Depending on how much meat, Glands etc. you have will depend on how much Sodium Benzoate I use. Mix everyday for a week with all ingredients. I use a drill and a texture paddle. You decide how thick you want it by the taint and how much Glycerine you add, You can always pour off the liquid if you are wanting a thicker bait before you stop it.

Scott

Re: Horse meat - 08/30/18 10:37 PM

Just a tip for T-man guys, I do not grind an animal that has been treated with antibiotics! Thay have a different smell to them, and the coyotes sure let you know. The cows in the bone yard that have been treated will be the last ones eaten!! Same with a horse!

Scott

Re: Horse meat - 08/31/18 02:54 PM

Thanks for that tip i've learned that the hard way a few times! Novice bait maker gets a drugged up animal makes bait, bait fails miserabley. So first timer gives up! Learned as a teenager raising sheep. We had a fox epidemic killing lambs! I saved one the vet loaded it up with antiboiotics. Lamb still died nothing touched it that spring buzzards finally ate it
Posted By: lureintheanimal

Re: Horse meat - 08/31/18 07:13 PM

hey, Tony that statement Drugged! you have there, also applies to quill skunk essence! BION
in the 'Ole days, they used another method, much better Quality!

Re: Horse meat - 09/01/18 02:36 AM

elaborate a little more ken!!??
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Horse meat - 09/01/18 12:08 PM

I was given a sheep that had been medicated. I ground it up and thought boy these coyotes don’t smell this much and will be a winner. Like Scott said......they wouldn’t come near it.

Re: Horse meat - 09/01/18 01:03 PM

I was just offered another horse with bad teeth but it has been pumped full of anti-biotics Got to pass on that one. So it is important to know that not just any ole horse can be made into bait.

Scott
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Horse meat - 09/01/18 04:49 PM

I have read somewhere in the past about not use any thing that is full of anti-biotics for the reason stated,Also to get a cow to eat for the table, to not get one that was full of anti-biotics also.

Re: Horse meat - 09/03/18 09:47 PM

I have access to numerous fattening floor animals! But all the farmers pump them full of all kinds of drugs! They are absolutely worthless as a predator bait lol the dogs even shy away from eating them!But it gives me a place to pile up on t-bones

Re: Horse meat - 09/20/18 11:51 AM

A grinder is also a great way to mix your bait or lure formula's, run it through several times if you want a very fine grind. It works the sodium benzoate in quickly!

Scott
Posted By: lureintheanimal

Re: Horse meat - 09/21/18 08:54 AM

Originally Posted By: TONY.F
elaborate a little more ken!!??

Tony, drugged to death b/k/a euthanasia methods, taints the carcass of the skunk as it does ALL animals, it also taints the Quill Skunk Essence, blood and tissue, AND INTO THE BONE MARROW A LONG LONG TIME with Poison, (Sodium Pentobarbital) A (DEA) Narcotics License required to have it in ones possession or to purchase or to administer!, you can bet on it!

Bill Nelson used a hose connected to his "Ole Tank Car in the 1930's he trapped from to put the Skunk to sleep (DIDN'T TAKE VERY LONG EITHER), Carbon Dioxide, IS NOT as Nasty a Chemical as Sodium Pentobarbital (A (DEA) Controlled Substance)! There ARE other methods to get a skunk to take a Nap!

Carcasses that lay very long without (bury or Safe fire incineration) will give off a nasty Chemical odor, some meats turn an orange to bright orange type color CHEMICAL ODOR, as time passes , (In Fact THOSE Carcasses Are Dangerous to Animals and Humans), if NOT disposed of properly, by Law! IMHO
Moreover, there are
confirmed cases of wildlife and stray dogs and
cats dying after ingesting sodium pentobarbital-filled
carcasses that have been scavenged!

I, AVOID SKUNK MEAT & QUILL ESSENCE THAT HAVE BEEN KILLED IN THIS FASHION using Sodium Pentabarbital, (It becomes MORE than a (!) Point On A bottle Label, AND Hazardous to your Health and any Animals that come into contact with it!...! MHO

THE GOAL (In Trapping) IS TO GET THE SKUNK TO GO TO SLEEP (SO THEN YOU CAN TAKE CARE OF THEM) after the Nap takes on, then a welded spike long tack hammer Works fine, OR an appropiate electric volt probe, MUCH BETTER, CLEAN, & MUCH (SAFER) THAN HAZARDOUS DRUGS, WITH LONG LONG TERM EFFECTS! THAT ARE CONTROLLED BY (THE DEA)!

Most DRUGS, will remain within the meat and bone marrow of animals and humans for a long long time, even the brain and spinal tissue will hold it moreso in concentration a long long time!

IF YOUR GOING TO BURY THEM SKUNKS REALLY DEEP, THE SODIUM.PEN! will Work, IF YOUR LICENSE ALLOWS YOU TO POSSESS IT, Administer it, or Purchase it, LEGALLY!

HOPE THAT HELPS YOU Tony!

Re: Horse meat - 09/21/18 11:56 AM

thank you ken I did not know those facts.I m happy to say the 22 is my death dealer. well placed heart shot no spray minimal blood and quick

Re: Horse meat - 01/01/19 12:15 PM

That is why I have a large grinder, armstrong grinders can not do enough!
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Horse meat - 01/24/19 02:00 AM

That is great!! Thanks for taking the time.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Horse meat - 02/10/19 05:32 PM

Great videos and a neat thread. A grinder hooked up to a 3 speed GM tranny makes me smile. Reminds me of Grandpa cutting wood with a belt driven circular blade run off the tractors drive wheel.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Horse meat - 02/14/19 12:30 AM

Wow that’s some operation!
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Horse meat - 02/22/19 08:35 AM

a couple buckets of ice cubes will clean your grinder plates faster and nicer that a couple loaves of bread.

Re: Horse meat - 07/01/19 10:28 PM

Thanks for the tip, I like to leave the bread in to plug the grinding plate because it keeps the mud dobbers and wasps out!

Scott

Re: Horse meat - 09/09/19 12:39 PM

The Ice cleans the bread out nicely when I am ready to start grinding again. I can run it in reverse to clean it both ways.

Scott
Posted By: Mac

Re: Horse meat - 09/13/19 12:49 PM

Thanks for sharing that Scott. Cool operation.
Mac
© 2024 Trapperman Forums