Home

Tainted question guys....?

Posted By: Osky

Tainted question guys....? - 09/04/18 11:08 PM

I have a half gallon plus of beaver castors that have been locked away in the back of my trap shed for somewhere between 4 and 40,000 years now. I'd been smelling something, discovered it, and made the second biggest mistake of my life by cracking it open. Words cannot describe.
So, can it be turned into a bait/lure, or is this now liquid too far gone and considered extremely hazardous waste?

Thanks guys
Osky
Posted By: Redsleeves

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 12:00 AM

See what the critters say!!
Colt
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 12:43 AM

We need photo's grin

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 01:01 AM

I think even photos would reek. Couldn't do that to you guys.

Osky
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 01:26 AM

Need more description of odor. Was it pure rooten like sewage? Curious minds want to know.

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 02:38 AM

Now it is all just a pink syrupy fluid, the smell is of castor and god knows what else. So darn powerful just being around the re,capped jug makes your eyes water.
Maybe a call lure mixed with something so it won't freeze up here? Gonna find out in the morning what effect a few drops has had around some of my bear baits.
I generally like using Andys Montana long call but I swear this stuff is far more overpowering. That being said stronger may not be better, I truly don't know.

Osky
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 02:53 AM

If it doesn't taste ok I wouldn't use it
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 03:23 AM

it should make a killer base for a lure im betting its preserved it self and being castor it has fixative qualitys

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: TONY.F
it should make a killer base for a lure im betting its preserved it self and being castor it has fixative qualitys

Maybe so, again I have no experience. I would like to, if needed, add somerthing to it to keep it from freezing while being used here in the winter. Any input on that I'd appreciate, and at this point is some sort of preservative needed to keep it in smaller quantities for years to come?

Thanks again all.
Osky
Posted By: tbn

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 01:30 PM

What animals are you intending to use it for?
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 04:25 PM

Sodium Benzoate if you feel it needs preserving, and Glycerin as an anti-freeze.

Personally, I'd get an 8 oz squeeze bottle and fill it up with a mixture of 5 oz of your "super juice" mixed with 2 oz of glycerin, and 1 tablespoon of sodium benzoate, if you're wanting to use it by itself. Shake it up all of September, and it'll be ready to go in October.

Of coarse, there are several other lure ingredients you could add to it if you feel like experimenting.

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/05/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: tbn
What animals are you intending to use it for?

I am primarily cats and canines, beavers when I'm bored.

Yukon, thank you for the info. " Super " anything I'm not sure, total accident I assure you that unbeknownst to me would become so potent. I find it hard to believe other beaver trappers haven't done something as silly as forget about a jug of castors but I just may be the one dummy.
Not sure what I would mix it with?

Osky
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/06/18 12:19 AM

Stir it up good and send some to TonyF. I want to know what it smells like.
Posted By: lureintheanimal

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/08/18 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Osky
Now it is all just a pink syrupy fluid, the smell is of castor and god knows what else. So darn powerful just being around the re,capped jug makes your eyes water.
Maybe a call lure mixed with something so it won't freeze up here? Gonna find out in the morning what effect a few drops has had around some of my bear baits.
I generally like using Andys Montana long call but I swear this stuff is far more overpowering. That being said stronger may not be better, I truly don't know.

Osky

YOU COULD SLAP A ROTTED BEAVER CARCASS INTO A BEAR MOUTH, AND HE/SHE WOULD LOVE IT!
ROTTED CASTORS (EVEN WHITE ONES TO LIQUID), WOULDN'T LIKELY COMPARE! LOL grin

PINK??, LOL, GOTTA LET THEM GO LONGER! ANOTHER 40,000 YEARS! LOL grin

YOU SMELL IT, YOU EYE MAY FALL OUT! POSSIBLY! HOPE NOT!

IF?? YOU CAN SMELL IT 5 MILES ON ANY POINT OF THE COMPASS, AND YOU GET TEARFUL, YOU'RE GOOD! LOL grin

FULLER LAUGEMAN "WAS A GOOD MAN"! smile Osky, Now it's your turn! THEM NORTHERN MINNESOTE WOLVES WILL NOT CARE A HOOT! smile

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/08/18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ponyboy
Stir it up good and send some to TonyF. I want to know what it smells like.
I SECOND THAT!!

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/19/18 06:11 PM

Well Tony as was recommended I am going to use 5 oz stink, 2 oz glycerine, and one oz sodium benzoate. Question. I put a few drops around my bear baits and a lots of critters checked it out however after rain it dissipated at least to my nose. Is there some sort of oil that can be added to make it water resistant along with the above additives?

Thanks Tony

Osky

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/19/18 08:28 PM

lanolin will water proof it better than most anything else but it will also muffle the scent!Use very hot water and ice cold water while blending it. So your scent stays suspended not settle to the bottom. heat it slow cool it fast.

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/19/18 08:35 PM

thinned way out I bet it would make a bait solution! Now if you can do the same thing with a gallon of full skunk pods you will be set!

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/20/18 11:40 PM

Ok Tony, question, do people ever take the supposed mixture I mention above and mix it in with lard, or maybe used grease?
Or maybe mix it with peanut oil ? Perhaps either will make it somewhat water proof?

Osky

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/21/18 02:29 AM

Ive heard of using all mentioned. All those will add a food element to your scent. Which imho isn't a bad thing. Temps drastically change the viscosity of lard. To the point in high heat I believe it leaves its host behind. Not 100 % certain but I do know it weakens greatly

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/22/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: TONY.F
Ive heard of using all mentioned. All those will add a food element to your scent. Which imho isn't a bad thing. Temps drastically change the viscosity of lard. To the point in high heat I believe it leaves its host behind. Not 100 % certain but I do know it weakens greatly

Thanks. At the time I would use this in northern Minnesota hot weather is not in the equation.

Osky

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/22/18 04:30 AM

osky honestly I believe olive oil or paraffin oil would be my first attempt both are dirt cheap and can be obtained most anywhere. and both stay very workable in extreme cold!
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Tainted question guys....? - 09/22/18 03:46 PM

Osky, you can go with the mixture you are talking about...the one I suggested. You can even add another ounce of glycerin, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't freeze. That's how I use lure, bait, and urine all winter.

If you want to step it up a notch, you can pour that 8 oz mix into a 16 oz glass bait jar...and set aside.

Then, melt 6 oz of lanoline and pour it into the other mixture. Shake it every day, or every other day until you use it. But, that
almost one to one mixture might just set up after the first day, and take on the properties of the original lanoline.

I melt my lanoline over a Coleman stove. Pan of water...about 2" water in the bottom. 16 oz jar with desired amount of lanoline in it, and heat up the water until the lanoline melts.

You can either pour the melted lanoline into the other mixture, or pour the other mixture into the melted lanoline. That's why I like the 16 oz glass bait jars. Room to mix stuff up, and shake the ingredients after mixed together.

If that percentage of lanoline doesn't set up, it will be very thick. Between the Glycerine and Lanoline, you won't be freezing to the point of losing your odor. Hope this helps, this is the way I make my call lure.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums