Home

Preserving glands

Posted By: gotya

Preserving glands - 10/14/18 01:31 PM

I have about a quart of bobcat glands ground and topped w cat pee from last season. I have been reading in the archives and it has been stated to preserve them, I'm taking that is with S/ B ? When would you add it and why would you want it to stop breaking down? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Preserving glands - 10/14/18 09:38 PM

You can add the SB at any time. The choice is up to you whether you want the fresh, aged or rotted. All depends on what you want the glands to do for you in your lure.

Re: Preserving glands - 10/15/18 12:30 AM

Interesting, didn't think they would rot. Think I will be leaving them as is!
Thanks
Sniper
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Preserving glands - 10/15/18 02:42 AM

ya they will rott eventually they turn into a liquid
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Preserving glands - 10/15/18 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: TONY.F
ya they will rott eventually they turn into a liquid

My cat glands turn into a paste after two years. I don't put much urine with them.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Preserving glands - 10/15/18 12:28 PM

I have 2 gal of coyote glands from 2008 that is paste. No liguid here.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Preserving glands - 10/15/18 12:30 PM

I have always aged slowly indoors. They never work into liquid form. I age primarily select gland cuts only and don't flood the material with other materials like urine unless if feel a bit of moisture is needed to help work the glands after a period of aging I see it is necessary to do so.

Exposure to spikes and constant sustained heat will most certainly always cause most organic materials to break down into a fluid form. As to how long it takes is determined by your heat index where you live and by the volume you are working up.

It does depend upon your preference as to odor and to product consistency. There are varying schools of thought and how someone was taught to do things according to their philosophy or experience into preparing glands and other formulation ingredients.

Re: Preserving glands - 10/15/18 05:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. So Paul, are you saying you "stop " them after 2 years of breakdown?

Re: Preserving glands - 10/16/18 05:49 PM

Bob great explanation. Just took my glands out of the window sill. LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums