Home

Oil

Posted By: Golf ball

Oil - 10/19/18 03:10 PM

I always hear of guys making and using skunk oil , beaver tail oil and fish oil. What about making oil out of deer fat ? It’s dang sure not good for anything else !

My thoughts are to render it down in my smoker to give it a natural Smokey aroma . Has anyone tried it before ? Any thoughts ?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Oil - 10/19/18 07:05 PM

deer tallow is used a lot in muzzle loading.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Oil - 10/20/18 10:56 AM

I rendered some deer fat down once just like I do with pig lard. It came out as hard as candle wax. I remelted it and mixed it 50/50 with olive oil and it makes awesome hand lotion.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Oil - 10/21/18 08:00 PM

I was surprised to read a minute ago that Danny brined and smoked a deer ham and said the fat was edible. Not doubting you Danny , I just have never known of a way to make it edible. Always do my best to remove as much fat as possible, figured someone had rendered it and made something with it .
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Oil - 10/21/18 09:15 PM

Danny could probably make just about anything edible if need be. Might be one of those things that you learn to acquire a taste for at times. Salt brine, low heat and smoke can do wonders for some things.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Oil - 10/22/18 12:39 AM

America is a nation too far removed from 1776. Not all animals have fat. Some have tallow. Some have blubber. Tallow is what is used to make candles. Fat is what is used to make oil. Lard is the semi state God created between the two in certain species such as hogs.
Some oils are too thick for burning such as skunk, but whale in the Sperm whale class made a perfect lighting oil.

Most of that has been replaced by margarine as Napoleon wanted butter that would not go rancid for his wars, or vegetable oils for cooking, but the best cooking medium is hog lard. It makes the best pie crusts. For cookies my Grampa always used goose fat. Those cookies were like 10,000 calories each and big as a plate, but they were pure heaven.
Skunk was utilized to cure colds before Vicks and it did work.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Oil - 10/22/18 01:27 AM

golfball normally I trim all the fat off my venison. I don't like it. brined (cured) with salt or tenderquick and brown sugar, then smoked and with a low temp like you do brisket it is pretty good. 12-14 hours at around 160-180. im thinking a dry cure and smoking would work too but I havnt tried it.

rendered deer tallow works great on muzzle loader patchs. works good instead of petroleum oil after cleaning also. sun rendered skunk oil is good too. it also makes a nice wood finish. just rub it in with your hands like linseed oil. good stuff if you like making self bows.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums