Home

Coyote Paws

Posted By: HOUTS32

Coyote Paws - 12/14/18 05:29 PM

Hey guys, I am not a lure maker and have never tried. However, I do sell all of my glands. Are there many guys out there that use coyote paws for making lures. I process a few hundred coyotes a year, so I have no shortage of feet. I sell a few dozen every year to people that work with claws, but I am looking to sell more in bulk. My question is, are there guys out there that make paw based lures or does that kind of market not exist? I'd rather not just toss them out as I try to use everything that I can. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a good one,
Houts
houtsmafurs@gmail.com
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Coyote Paws - 12/15/18 01:22 AM

I’ve not done so myself but believe the center pad on a coyote foot is used in gland lure. Maybe Wayne or Andy or Bob or Paul or........... will chime in here.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Coyote Paws - 12/15/18 07:21 PM

Brandon, some guys will use the center pads in their gland lure, mixed along with the glands. Some of us use the paws/forearm at a flat set. Otherwise...not much use for them.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Coyote Paws - 12/15/18 09:11 PM

We use a limited amount of footpads in one product every year. I cant speak for other formulators as to their use of them to any great degree.
Posted By: HOUTS32

Re: Coyote Paws - 12/17/18 12:57 AM

Thanks guys. That is kind of what I figured. I'll probably save them again and see if I cant find a use for them.
Posted By: Leonitis

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/01/19 02:48 AM

Some of us use the paws/forearm at a flat set. Otherwise...not much use for them.

Yukonal can you elaborate on this?
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/01/19 04:04 AM

I have a kitty litter container full of beaver feet and coyote/fox feet, about 50/50. Maybe I'll let it rot down into a super lure.
Posted By: Leonitis

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/01/19 04:14 AM

I saved the front feet from this years coyotes. wondering how to use/utilize them?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/01/19 07:40 AM

I have chopped the feet off bobcats leaving the fur on. stick one in a shallow dirt hole so its easy to see and put some bobcat bladder pee on it. have put coyote pee on them too. catches coyotes pretty good. coyote foot would likely work too.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/01/19 05:21 PM

paveks book describes a pad gland lure. I've yet to try it but will some day.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/03/19 10:18 AM

We had zero luck with coon front feet. Always have a bunch of them around and thought we would try them. No catches from coon feet.

Caught two coyotes one year with just a coyote foot hidden under edge of a a cow pie. If you cut out the anus when skinning, that was pretty good attractor to coyotes for us also. I think they are always interested in smells of other coyotes in the area. Pee, poo, glands, feet, whatever the source coyote parts seem interesting to other coyotes.

I always wished someone could bottle up the wet dog smell of a coyote...that would be a good lure and I bet a great cover scent for calling them too.

Jim
Posted By: Bruce Rhoads

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/07/19 01:09 PM

I use front feet driven into the ground with good success. I don't think it is a response to the coyote pad smell as much as the visual of the fur etc. However only the coyotes really know.

The hock gland feed the hind foot and according to an old boy I used to know, actually feeds the center foot pad. He was a believer in only using the hind foot pads, and he left all other foot and toe pads on the animal. Personally I am a hock, bladder, anal gland believer but sometimes end up with glands that have foot pads in them.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/07/19 05:08 PM

Thanks Bruce...good info.

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/07/19 11:36 PM

[Linked Image]

Remake
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/15/19 02:44 AM

I save the feet from fox, cats, otters, and coyotes. At dirthole remakes the feet are used in the hole instead of bait. Cant buy that additional animal smell.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/20/19 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Leonitis
Some of us use the paws/forearm at a flat set. Otherwise...not much use for them.

Yukonal can you elaborate on this?

Think...scent post. Then tweak it.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/20/19 06:49 PM

Predators and all other fur bearers can be caught on most anything with some eye appeal and odor if you are in front of them. That should be a noted fact for those that understand what I mean and have learned this from their own experiences. It isn't rocket science but it does have its own learning curve.

Processed and prepared materials can make trapping much easier due to their strength, variety and odor appeal. Once you learn to get in front of them the rest is routine for the most part. Same old same old just at different places. The magic is in the understanding of what you are doing and how you do it where it will be most productive.

Learn your basic set construction and a couple for change ups as needed. This trapping is an on going work in progress but it gets much easier with time spent in the field.
Posted By: Farm Manager

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/21/19 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
We had zero luck with coon front feet. Always have a bunch of them around and thought we would try them. No catches from coon feet.

Caught two coyotes one year with just a coyote foot hidden under edge of a a cow pie. If you cut out the anus when skinning, that was pretty good attractor to coyotes for us also. I think they are always interested in smells of other coyotes in the area. Pee, poo, glands, feet, whatever the source coyote parts seem interesting to other coyotes.

I always wished someone could bottle up the wet dog smell of a coyote...that would be a good lure and I bet a great cover scent for calling them too.

Jim
Posted By: Farm Manager

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/21/19 03:02 AM

A friend of mine came up with a plan to get that wet dog smell of the coyote by taking a tote or tub of cleanwater and washing a few pelts in it then saving the water and whatever residue washes out of the pelts (hair, dirt, urine, whatever). He has yet to try it but will most likely get around to it this coming season as it doesn't have to age.

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/21/19 11:07 AM

coyote water is an old idea
. still some good trappers using it

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/22/19 02:58 AM

Yep Wiley Carroll talked of coyote water in his Box 104 article. Oh simpler times.....
Posted By: clintp1971

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/24/19 01:17 AM

I have cut the hair off of a deer hide with sheep shears and put the hair in a pillow case. Then put the
pillow case in a tub with my hunting clothes for a cover scent.
Smells like a deer, not deer pee or deer poop, just a deer. Maybe something like that with poly fill, to absorb the odor???? Then use the poly fill at the set??
Posted By: red mt

Re: Coyote Paws - 05/25/19 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Predators and all other fur bearers can be caught on most anything with some eye appeal and odor if you are in front of them. That should be a noted fact for those that understand what I mean and have learned this from their own experiences. It isn't rocket science but it does have its own learning curve.

Processed and prepared materials can make trapping much easier due to their strength, variety and odor appeal. Once you learn to get in front of them the rest is routine for the most part. Same old same old just at different places. The magic is in the understanding of what you are doing and how you do it where it will be most productive.

Learn your basic set construction and a couple for change ups as needed. This trapping is an on going work in progress but it gets much easier with time spent in the field.

Very well put
Posted By: black and tan

Re: Coyote Paws - 06/16/19 05:01 PM

I have cut the big pad off and soaked them in everclear liquor for a couple years per Mike Marysada (sp) sorry . Column in the trappers post. Had pretty good results towards the end of the season.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Coyote Paws - 06/17/19 01:06 AM

What does the ever clear do?
Posted By: red mt

Re: Coyote Paws - 06/17/19 05:00 AM

Foot pads or back feet are best used in the spring to kill its mate .
Rest of the year imo it is a curiousity .
Posted By: black and tan

Re: Coyote Paws - 06/18/19 02:40 PM

Probably perserves them so they dont rot is my guess
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Coyote Paws - 06/18/19 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
What does the ever clear do?
I'm assuming it is to tincture the odor
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/19/19 02:39 AM

Bruce I believe that same old boy told me those pads were extremely rough on grinders...lol
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/22/19 12:27 AM

I use to make a training scent for coon hunters, rabbit hounds and a deer dog breaking scent to break dogs that ran deer. They was made by first soaking hides of either the coon,rabbit or deer in a preservative, glycerin oil, foot pads or hoof and urine of that animal then added other parts of the animal. worked very good. I still have a hounds men asking me to make them for him. So I would guess the same could work if a fox or coyote was used. Again to go back to Bobs last post, a lot of things will work if you can let them see it and put it right where it is going to be, rather than trying to pull them to where the trapper wants them.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/23/19 04:57 AM

Anyone use a yote foot to make prints in the dirt or snow around and over a set ? Would a footprint right over the pan make a coyote more apt to put his foot there ? Would a set of prints put them more at ease or more on alert ? -Thanks

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/23/19 08:18 AM

just leave a low spot on the pan

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/23/19 02:08 PM

Do most folks really believe that an animal will consciously look for other animal tracks ? Just asking

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/24/19 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesie
Do most folks really believe that an animal will consciously look for other animal tracks ? Just asking

Not sure, but I did see rubber paws on a stick in the trap supply catalog for that purpose.

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/24/19 08:46 AM

coyote cant tell a coyote track from the marks left after a squirrel digs up a nut without his nose. they are animals. no cognitive thinking, not human.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/26/19 03:32 AM

Imo coyotes learn from repetitive interaction and association. If a coyote has been around for a few years than yes I think he could possibly see and smell enough marks in the dirt, (tracks) that they can associate it with one of their own. I would say most don't know this but maybe some do.

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/27/19 11:39 AM

Smell and disturbance, I say yes for an attention source, but personally a track used over the pan or at set as a confidence / social / guide I would say no. I can be wrong though..
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/28/19 12:26 AM

A coyote that's been around a few years I think can tell what food is, (rabbit) from just visual alone without smelling it because they learned what they are. If a coyote sees you even without smelling or hearing you they know just by sight you are danger. I bet they know what a turd is on the trail there trotting down even if they can't smell it from where they're standing. So why couldn't a coyote know what a track was at a set or anywhere without smelling it if they've learned over the years what it is through association?

I think the track maker they sell is mostly a gimmick but leaving a track on your pan could potentially help.

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/28/19 08:39 AM

I can't see how it would deter a coyote from a set.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Coyote Paws - 07/31/19 08:25 PM

Just ran across this post. Will coyote feet work at sets? I've had good luck with a deep dirt hole (2" auger), push in a foot with about 4-6" of leg attached so that the foot is about 4-6" below the hole lip. A little gland lure on the foot. If I've missed them, they always work to get the foot out of the hole.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums