Home

Scat as an attractant

Posted By: AJE

Scat as an attractant - 06/01/19 08:37 AM

Those that sometimes use k9 scat as an attractant at your sets: Do you save scat from year to year; & if so you do you put a preservative on it before putting it in a ziplock bag for next season?
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/01/19 11:08 AM

Paul told me yrs ago, to ziplock baggie it for a freezer, and to spray with Glycol to freshen it up as ya go along

some folks also dribble a lil urine on it
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/01/19 02:56 PM

Your best bet Is to make a set right where that scat Is found. It was left there for a reason.

But If you find scat In the off season you should pick It up. Freezing and adding glycerin or glycol to make It look fresh would work. Spraying It down with urine when you place It at the set will spice it up a bit. Picking up old white dried out turds probably Isn't worth your time.

And every fox coyote and cat should be opened up and you should remove the gut along with any turds. Leave the turds In the gut to keep them fresh. Then all you have to do Is strip them out when making a set.
Lots of times the caught animal will take a dump when caught but not always. So It pays to cut them open to see.

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/01/19 05:42 PM

I'm sure that would work. It might even work better if you dropped the foreign scat right next to the local scat.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/01/19 07:03 PM

If you got some pee from a bobcat bladder a just found coyote turd is a good place to put a few drops

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/06/19 05:10 PM

I've heard of quite a few folks using coyote scat. What about bobcat scat?

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/06/19 06:17 PM

All scat has some value as an attractant.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/06/19 07:25 PM

If you're going to be dealing with a high volume of scat, I'd be on point with ppe. Some nasty stuff is associated with it. Also wouldn't sit around smelling it either as many do jars of bait and lure. smile
Posted By: beezmador

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/06/19 07:27 PM

Collect the scat, throw it in a bucket with a lid - if it dries out add a bit of urine to re-hydrate and make your own hand formed scat as needed...

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/06/19 09:51 PM

I suppose bobcats bury their scat
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/06/19 10:59 PM

AJE not always. Not even in sand. Seems to me those big toms will often leave it uncovered. See toilets pretty regular out west. You can see them cause of uncovered droppings. If you scratch around with a stick you will likely find some have been covered. I don't understand the behavior at all but I have observed it a bunch.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/07/19 12:01 AM

I also have found too much cat scat left very well visible "exposed" most likely as a marker for territorial and advertising reasons. Also multi scat locations which are most likely left by several cats over time. Kind of like the castor mounds I have seen in Arkansas along the rivers.

Some of those mounds were nearly 2 ft. high. The first I saw them back in the early 90's I thought they might be ant hills from a distance. I was working beaver control from a boat. Once I got where I could get up the steep banks to see them better I could smell some of them as I got closer. Had to be many visits over time to make those. They were common along the stretch of river I was running.

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/07/19 02:54 AM

I keep an eye out for coyote scat but will have to start looking for bobcat scat. I get the occasional cat on trail cam, so they're around. In the winter I see tracks, often along the creek it seems. It's possible I've seen bobcat scat and just didn't recognize it.
Posted By: lureintheanimal

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/07/19 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
All scat has some value as an attractant.

attracts you to grab it and take a whiff , hmmm , smells like moms' rose pot . wink

Cow dung is better for Roses .

Re: Scat as an attractant - 06/09/19 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
I also have found too much cat scat left very well visible "exposed" most likely as a marker for territorial and advertising reasons. Also multi scat locations which are most likely left by several cats over time. Kind of like the castor mounds I have seen in Arkansas along the rivers.

Some of those mounds were nearly 2 ft. high. The first I saw them back in the early 90's I thought they might be ant hills from a distance. I was working beaver control from a boat. Once I got where I could get up the steep banks to see them better I could smell some of them as I got closer. Had to be many visits over time to make those. They were common along the stretch of river I was running.

I was talking to a local trapper yesterday who has an active bobcat population on his property and ironically he happened to mention he has such a scat 'pile' on his property. I told him to take a photo next time he's out there. He thinks it's a territorial thing.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums