Home

Bait for caging coyotes

Posted By: AJE

Bait for caging coyotes - 09/14/19 02:17 AM

For the few folks out there that cage trap coyote, what kind of bait is recommended. I have a couple huge bobcat cages and am thinking about trying a bait to cage a coyote just to try something different.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/14/19 10:30 AM

if you figure it out please don't keep it a secret
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/14/19 02:13 PM

Good luck let us know
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/14/19 03:02 PM

550 mtp and catchpole.....use 550 to catch yote and catch pole to put in cage
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/14/19 03:20 PM

From what I understand it takes a month of baiting the cage just to get a yote to accept the cage.
Posted By: redhillstrapper

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/14/19 06:00 PM

Find the nastiest, sickest, mangiest, near starving coyote you can, then bait your cage with about anything edible and they'll go right in!
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/15/19 02:03 AM

hope your after dumb yearlings, cuz that's what is normally got into a cage

fruity or meaty baits

make sure to tune the trigger, cover the wire bottom, paint whole thing, glycerin the trigger if bad weather comes,
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/15/19 11:56 AM

Best setup I saw was a unique situation where coyote or coyotes used a small pond drain tube on backside of dam to hole up during the day.
A cage was used that just fit inside that tube and that was what looked to me a little longer than normal too. No bait on that one. Friend of mine around here that runs a lot of cages in winter for cats and whatever got his first and only coyote cage catch a year or so ago. He said was truly an oddity in his opinion.
Just a real paranoid skittish animal that typically doesnt like to be confined or enter narrow and short openings very often. I would thing real harsh winter conditions and maybe some thick cedar draws where they are already sort of confined in a bit would be good location and shot at caging one. Maybe colorado guys could pipe in since that would about only tool they could use out there?
Jim
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/15/19 04:59 PM

there are some guys in Colorado that shoot a lot of coyotes. also a landowner can get a permit to use foot traps on private ground and let anybody he wants to trap it. I think a few get poached also. I doubt a dozen a year are taken in cages.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/20/19 12:18 AM

Most guys know I run cages pretty seriously.

In the last 18 years of going wide open I have only ever caught 1 wild coyote in a cage.

Have caged maybe a dozen town/starving/sick etc coyotes.

Lot better things in life to master than caging coyotes.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 09/25/19 03:39 AM

I was thinking about trying it to see if I could do it. Thanks for your feedback. I decided it would probably be a waste of time. I talked to the cage seller, and he says he's heard of it being done using some kind of chicken as bait, but it sounded very rare.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 10/22/20 10:53 PM

Cover the floor of trap with dirt (make sure door will close & lock) & use groundhog for bait if legal
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 10/23/20 02:15 AM

young dumb yotes can be fooled once in a while
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 10/26/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cletis Richards
550 mtp and catchpole.....use 550 to catch yote and catch pole to put in cage

Perfect grin
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 10/27/20 04:03 AM

[Linked Image]
Young and dumb and hungry!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Bait for caging coyotes - 12/16/20 08:52 PM

Carp nothing I have not caught on carp 3 yotes in past years in cages 2 in the same week.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums