Home

gator oil

Posted By: Cope23

gator oil - 09/21/19 01:15 AM

Does rendered down gator oil have a castor kind of smell to it? im just curious because I bought some from a local lure maker being advertised as gator oil and to me it has a castor smell to it..just wondering because its seems very mild
Posted By: Taximan

Re: gator oil - 09/23/19 05:04 AM

I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but the gator oil I got from Grawes,has no hint of any castor like smell to it.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: gator oil - 09/23/19 08:44 AM

Just because you can't smell it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't in there. With all the "in-house" ingredients being made today with a number of ingredients that are added to do certain things regarding odor or anything the maker is trying to achieve. It is virtually impossible to know what is in an ingredient if you aren't the one who made it.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: gator oil - 09/23/19 09:01 AM

just wondering because its seems very mild

Mild odors are deceiving. If you have any doubt on whether or not an ingredient is attractive why not check the reactions (if any) out for yourself in the area you are trapping with a cam? Believe me you are going to learn a lot more by that method than running a thread asking for opinions on the product they aren't over there to smell. Not knocking the question but testing out in the field on the target animal has proven many posts on here very wrong. Let the animal decide not the folks.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: gator oil - 09/23/19 10:28 AM

Gator oil has what I would call a mild fishy odor to it and is dark in color like a good trout oil. No castor odor to it. A least not any that I have ever smelled or worked with.
Posted By: Night Owl 22

Re: gator oil - 09/23/19 02:13 PM

Agree with Bob. Like trout oil but just a little sweeter smell to me.
Posted By: Cope23

Re: gator oil - 09/23/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by TDHP
just wondering because its seems very mild

Mild odors are deceiving. If you have any doubt on whether or not an ingredient is attractive why not check the reactions (if any) out for yourself in the area you are trapping with a cam? Believe me you are going to learn a lot more by that method than running a thread asking for opinions on the product they aren't over there to smell. Not knocking the question but testing out in the field on the target animal has proven many posts on here very wrong. Let the animal decide not the folks.

Theres no doubt its attractive, I was just wondering about the castor smell..

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Gator oil has what I would call a mild fishy odor to it and is dark in color like a good trout oil. No castor odor to it. A least not any that I have ever smelled or worked with.

Thanks that's what I was wondering. This stuff resembles what you described. Just for my own curiosity im going to order another bottle from another source to compare.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: gator oil - 10/09/19 05:04 PM

I know on the trapping inc you tube tv show he used it in his Martin boxes and started catching mink. He assumed it was from the gator oil.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums