Home

Frogs

Posted By: conibearguy

Frogs - 10/28/19 05:22 PM

Buying my bait dealers license because legally you have to in my state to have over 50 leopard frogs. But they are by the thousands right now. Anyone grind them or bullfrogs up for bait ever? Would imagine it would be a dynamite mink and coon bait.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Frogs - 10/29/19 11:37 AM

I haven't ground bullfrog up but I did throw all the left overs after taking the back legs to eat in a bucket with an air stone I the lid and left it in the bucket for 4 months in the heat then I transferred the liquid stink into a gallon jug I have not used it yet but will let ya know what I find. thinking skunks and grinners will want to eat it but thinking k9s will want to roll on it.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Frogs - 10/29/19 09:30 PM

When I didn’t have a pet coon because you need a permit to keep one , she would not eat bullfrog left overs . A live frog in a bucket of water was a different story .
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Frogs - 10/29/19 11:12 PM

Mink love frogs in the dead of winter I will find frog parts in the shallows or in a little ripple of water that wasn't frozen. Sure fire sign that you have mink working that stream.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Frogs - 11/01/19 10:25 AM

I bet fresh frozen frogs would be attractive but I am never sure if it's the frog or the movement of the frog, maybe not the odor of the frog?? Crayfish work great and have odor to them. White belly of a frog really stands out against muddy creek banks too.
Good luck with the frogs and let us know how they work. I've caught a lot of cold weather mink carrying frogs when they hit the 110 in blind sets. You might be onto something.
Jim
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Frogs - 11/01/19 11:09 AM

I haven't done any real experimenting with frogs and trapping. Made one coon set one season with a bullfrog and it never hit.

I know from cat fishing that there are major differences in species. A bullfrog wont catch much. (fishing) Spring frogs will fill the boat with channel cats. One of my favorite baits. About all I use June July and August.

MIGHT be like that trapping

[Linked Image]

I catch them at night with a Maglite. Shine the light on them then grab them with the other hand. Works best if it hasn't rained in a week or so. They will be on pond banks or big puddle banks or creek banks. If you like catfish they are worth catching wherever you find them.
Posted By: conibearguy

Re: Frogs - 11/01/19 12:45 PM

Oh I know they make one heck of a catfish bait! Those channels absolutely love them.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Frogs - 11/02/19 07:08 PM

They make those clip on frogs for trap pans. I think primarily for mink.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums