Home

fox meat for bait

Posted By: hollowtrapper

fox meat for bait - 11/04/19 12:59 AM

hey everyone im looking at using red fox meat for bait , was gonna use it fresh with some sodium benzoate ,
any suggestions ,should i add anything else or try like it is ?
Posted By: strike2x

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/04/19 01:18 AM

I would suggest you test it first. Doubt it would be any good.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/04/19 03:05 AM

not recommended much, BUT it is in Nick Wyshinskis book, so i'd invest in that first.
I think he put it underground for bout 2 yrs.
I think its also in the 13 pages of lure and bait recipes that RiversNorth posted years ago.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/04/19 01:50 PM

kaatz brothers has a bait on their website kellens gold label bait is a fox meat bait and it works not sure what else in is the formulation but I doubt they would be selling as much as they do if it didn't work.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/04/19 08:04 PM

If your on a travel way you would be surprised what interests animals. Many types of meats and odors will get some response. Some just do better then others.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/04/19 08:25 PM

I can add 3 or 4 ingredients to saw dust, call it a bait and do pretty good on critters. But that doesnt make sawdust a good base in my opinion. I've tested a fair amount of meat bases by themselves, beside other bases and in formulations using the exact same ingredients using two different bases for comparison. It's my conclusion a lot of people haven't done much testing on bases or they just use what's convenient for them and just count on the ingredients they add to "make it good enough" or they just go by what others say. A lot of stuff will get some animal to stop for a quick sniff sometimes close and sometimes a few feet back and about anything that represents food will get a hungry animal to respond but I like a base that provides the most attraction I can get by itself.

I was a little slower than you typing Bob. I hadn't read ur response yer.
Posted By: hollowtrapper

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/05/19 01:55 AM

ok fellas Thanks for the responses
Posted By: strike2x

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/05/19 02:08 AM

I use primarily venison scrap as a bait because it is plentiful to me. I also use muskrat and beaver. I guess my answer was such because I know for a fact that I can put a beaver carcass out and a fox right next to it and the beaver will be gone in a day. I can put a muskrat next to the fox that is still there and it will be gone the next day. I have even had coon gone before fox. So long story short, I wouldn't personally use fox.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/05/19 02:28 AM

Personally my belief is yotes are way more attracted to live fox then dead ones! I've played with fox meat I found it did a bang up job on pups but adults would'nt mess with it. If they did I feel it was only to mark it and they messed up.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: fox meat for bait - 11/05/19 11:33 PM

I have some rendered grey fox meat that has completely broke down. Its a very good rub or post lure. Causes a rolling response, but if you bed your trap on the down wind side you can snag them before they start rolling.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums