Home

Fish Oil?

Posted By: wormbobskey

Fish Oil? - 05/25/20 10:15 PM

I have a 5 gallon bucket of rendered down carp. This bucket is 5 years old give or take. Its my attempt at making fish oil. Anyway I strained all the bones and scales out of the liquid, but noticed on the inside of the lid a black jelly like substances. It literally looks like black jelly. I scraped all of it into lure jars and will be saving it. My question is has anyone else ever seen this before?

Re: Fish Oil? - 06/02/20 02:46 PM

No one?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Fish Oil? - 06/02/20 03:14 PM

Carp doesn't yield much oil, mostly stinky grey watery juice. All oil has to be drawn from the top of the fish batch once it has surfaced. You never strain fish oil as described.

Once you mix the water, what oil there is and decayed bone and scales it has lost its potential as good pure oil. It will never get separated again.

Some fish will produce what is referred to as fish tar, that may be what you are finding on the lid.

Re: Fish Oil? - 06/02/20 09:11 PM

Thank you Mr. Jameson. Aside from the jelly like substance on the lid, there never appeared anything that could remotely be called oil. Even when I first cracked the lid open, after in had sat in the same place and was never stirred or otherwise agitated, there was never any type of oil. Although it has lost that nasty rotten fish smell, it still has a lingering odor of something dead. I suppose I could use it as a lure on a rubbing post, but I doubt it would draw in anything worth skinning. I could probably also use it as draw station in late winter. I put the "Fish Tar" in my shed and haven't gave it to much thought until I went in today and there was a smell of slightly rotten fish. Think it would be a good deterant to keep the wife out of the shed, but it all depends on her reason for wanting to go in there in the first place. If she's mad at me it wouldn't matter if I had twenty half rotten skunks in there, she's coming in. Thanks for the information.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Fish Oil? - 06/19/20 04:19 AM

It seems to me Ardelle Grawe used to sell catfish tar as a lure/bait. Might have been the same thing
© 2024 Trapperman Forums