Home

Tarsal glands

Posted By: Michael Lippold

Tarsal glands - 11/11/20 03:56 PM

I was just reading in the furtaker about a coyote lure made from the tarsal glands of deer. Anyone here ever tried this or something similar?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/11/20 07:42 PM

Deer glands and deer by products will always yield the interest of a predator. Adding deer urine to a good lure can boost curiosity but it should be limited to down in a hole type use.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/11/20 10:29 PM

Its worth testing

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/12/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Deer glands and deer by products will always yield the interest of a predator. Adding deer urine to a good lure can boost curiosity but it should be limited to down in a hole type use.

Bob thank you for responding, the author was vague on what he said. He just said he put the glands in a jar with glycerine and let them age till the next season. Would you throw them in there whole? Or chop them up? Or grind them? And I would assume you wouldn’t want no hair in them even though he mentioned something about short clipped hair like that from a prairie dog and adding it to make a paste. Deer season starts this weekend and I’m sure someone will in my family will shoot one.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/12/20 03:36 AM

yes tarsal and urine for both fox and coyote https://youtu.be/n9S_UYx65SE
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/12/20 01:40 PM

I would recommend trimming the hair as much as is possible and place in a separate container. Then you can grind the remaining gland tissue much easier without the hair. You can tincture the gland trimmed hair and tincture the ground gland tissue separately.

There will be lots of odor in the hair as it absorbs much of the urine that runs down the legs over the tarsal gland. After tincturing both hair and the gland you can combine the left over tincture of both batches. Should be good stuff if you tincture them long enough. Save the hair after draining the tincture and save the mother gland paste. They still will have good odor push.

You can add the left over materials into various products to your liking or use them straight as a deer scent for hunting applied to scrapes etc., or use as predator lure/bait additives.

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/12/20 02:54 PM

I will give this a try, thank you very much for your time Bob

Jonsie when o get home I’ll watch that clip, thank you too sir

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/13/20 12:03 AM

Bob just gave out a lot of important information, One thing I will add is, I also found out the fur in its self will have some attraction if tinctured correctly. One of the major positives in my dog training scents (when I was making them) was the hair and leather. When I added those two components to the training scent it increased the attraction for the dog overwhelmingly. I realized this one day watching my rabbit dogs working a spot where the rabbit was bedded down. Also when a dead rabbit laying on the ground the dogs would smell the whole rabbit. Bear and cat strike dogs riding on the front or back of a moving truck open up on just the air scent which contained all of the odor from the animal.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/13/20 12:20 AM

We had this discussion last year and I tried it with good success, here the link to that conversation on here. Part of the discussion was Zaggers bedding methods also.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6671350/pipeless-pipe-dream#Post6671350

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/13/20 12:22 AM

The other info about what to do with them besides my crude methods used last year will help me also, thanks for the info.

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/13/20 03:44 AM

Word of caution, many states are banning natural deer urine and parts in scent formulations. The move is meant for deer hunting but will cross over into trapping scent manufacturing and use. So check your state regs on deer urine and parts.

Re: Tarsal glands - 11/13/20 04:44 AM

Yeah mine is one of those states than does not allow me to use parts or scraps left over from game animals, thats why I just stole the scent that I could absorb in the wool I dont think they have control over the scents a animal has at this point. Not sure about deer urine use here though.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Tarsal glands - 12/09/20 01:15 AM

My son makes mock scrapes every year with a product called power scrape. [Linked Image]

Every year has this result !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums